[qubes-users] Task bar disappeared?

I just had a strange experience, here is what happened:

• My computer accidentally shut down as the computer became unplugged
  • I am not sure if I accidentally hid the task bar?

Regardless my task bar disappeared…not sure I am using the right term but I am refering to the bar, on my desktop, it was ontop of the screen. This task bar had icons for my wifi, battery, clock, etc…

I can only access my templates by left clicking on my desktop…

If my memory serves me right, I control this via the “panel” however when I go to:
Applications → System Tools->Panel

I get an error “Failed to show the preference dialog - GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name is not activatable”

I found this solution:

Which brought the panel back…strange. Never had this before…

This was the solution provided on the link above:

Actually, this is the solution

@Qubes_User171 should start terminal in dom0, execute xfce4-panel. Panel will show up. Then it is needed forcibly to close the terminal regardless of the warning. The panel will disappear and reappear in a flash second. It usually happens when using context menu while on panel which somehow triggers closing the panel without the warning.

Newbie question but what command do I type in Dom0 to “execute”? Do I need to do something when they say “Then it is needed forcibly to close the terminal regardless of the warning.”?

Thanks…

Update:

• I typed: xfce4-panel into the Dom0 terminal
  • I received errors in the Dom0 terminal and as mentioned the Task bar appeared

It didn’t survive a reboot of my computer. I typed: xfce4-panel into Dom0 it appeared…

How do I fix this so it survives a reboot?

I had a similar problem with the desktop wallpaper under Qubes 4.0. It went away after doing something similar.

Stuart

We have some open issues on xfce4-panel crashing:

Update:
- I typed: xfce4-panel into the Dom0 terminal
- I received errors in the Dom0 terminal and as mentioned the Task bar
appeared

It didn't survive a reboot of my computer. I typed: xfce4-panel into Dom0
it appeared...

I had a similar problem with the desktop wallpaper under Qubes 4.0. It went away after doing something similar.

For a working journaled filesystem I'd expect that only items that were changed while the power failed would disappear (when the incomplete transaction is undone). Looks like some bug.
Maybe your disks use local caching or some other volatile write-back cache (known to fail with journaled filesystems)?

Regards,
Ulrich

It will only fail if one of the following is true:

1. The filesystem does not properly issue FLUSH and/or FUA commands.
2. The disk does not properly implement these commands.
3. Qubes OS is not properly issuing fsync().
- --
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)
Invisible Things Lab