[qubes-users] Qubes OS hardware costs

Dear all,

I would like to share with you all the list of hardware that I have allocated for the Qubes OS Project's infrastructure: continuous integration, daily and weekly builds, and reproducible builds.

# CI/CD runners (all Qubes OS repositories)
HP DL360 Gen8:
   - Operating system: Debian
   - 2 * Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 @ 2.60GHz
   - 128GB ECC RDIMM DDR3
   - 8 * 146GB HDD (SAS)

# CI/CD runners (Weekly ISO builds and Gentoo repositories (build and serve))
# Reproducible builds runners (see https://beta.tests.reproducible-builds.org/)
# Remark: only allocated at half of the global resources; the other half is my work machine.
DELL PowerEdge R730:
   - Operating system: Qubes OS
   - 2 * Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v4 @ 2.60GHz
   - 128GB ECC LDIMM DDR4
   - 8 * 300GB HDD (SAS)
   - 8 * 256GB SSD

# CI/CD runner for next generation Qubes builder
Custom Computer:
   - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
   - 16 GB Non-ECC DIMM DDR3
   - 2 * 256GB SSD

# openQA runners
HP DL360 Gen8:
   - Operating system: openSUSE
   - 2 * Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 @ 2.60GHz
   - 128GB ECC RDIMM DDR3
   - 8 * 146GB SAS HDD

# openQA runners
HP DL360 Gen7:
   - 2 * Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz
   - 64GB ECC RDIMM DDR3
   - 8 * 146GB SAS HDD

# Reproducible builds snapshot.notset.fr service (key for rebuilding Debian)
HP DL380e Gen8:
   - Operating system: openSUSE
   - 2 * Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2430L v2 @ 2.40GHz
   - 32GB ECC RDIMM DDR3
   - 8 * 4TB HDD (SATA)

This is hardware I've paid for out of my own pocket over the past four years and that I run at home in a controlled environment. I've recently finished optimizing the on-demand startup and auto-shutdown of the GitLab and openQA machines.

All of this was and continues to be a non-negligible cost (several thousand euros over the years) for me in terms of energy and hardware. As this is refurbished hardware, from time to time I need to replace some drives and failing memory modules. To give you an idea, as of today and since the middle of January 2022, all of this hardware (including auxiliary networking and firewall hardware) has consumed 2023 KWh (according to my watt-meter and with a daily average rate of ~20-25 KWh).

If any of you could possibly be financial or hardware sponsors, I would greatly appreciate your generosity and support. Please don't hesitate to contact me or Marek if you can help with this. We already have some machines in the cloud that were generously offered by the Qubes OS community. (Marek can provide details about the hardware.) In general, renting similar machine specs in the cloud as what I can run at home is very expensive, and we cannot afford that. This is why I prefer to invest in hardware that we control, especially when part of it is used to deliver content like the Qubes OS weekly ISO builds.

Best regards,
Frédéric

4 Likes