[qubes-users] Networking with debian10-minimal instead of fedora-33

Hi, I am trying to make work the sys-net and sys-firewall under debian-10-minimal template, instead of fedora-33, but without success. Fedora is annoying with its updates and also I would like to decrease the exposure to the complexity of fedora-33 full template wherever possible.

I followed these guides regarding networking:

I installed following packages into debian-10-minimal template and based the sys-net and sys-firewall on it:

qubes-core-agent-networking qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates qubes-core-agent-network-manager qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root nano qubes-mgmt-salt-vm-connector qubes-core-agent-nautilus nautilus gnome-terminal

Once I change the sys-whonix and sys-firewall, the network icon doesnt show any Wi-Fi Networks, only ethernet.

Any workaround?

'taran1s' via qubes-users:

Hi, I am trying to make work the sys-net and sys-firewall under debian-10-minimal template, instead of fedora-33, but without success. Fedora is annoying with its updates and also I would like to decrease the exposure to the complexity of fedora-33 full template wherever possible.

I followed these guides regarding networking:

Minimal templates | Qubes OS
Contents/docs/privacy/anonymizing-your-mac-address.md at master Ā· Qubes-Community/Contents Ā· GitHub

I installed following packages into debian-10-minimal template and based the sys-net and sys-firewall on it:

qubes-core-agent-networking qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates qubes-core-agent-network-manager qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root nano qubes-mgmt-salt-vm-connector qubes-core-agent-nautilus nautilus gnome-terminal

Once I change the sys-whonix and sys-firewall, the network icon doesnt show any Wi-Fi Networks, only ethernet.

Sorry, sys-net and sys-firewall, not sys-whonix of course.

Hi, I am trying to make work the sys-net and sys-firewall under
debian-10-minimal template, instead of fedora-33, but without success.
Fedora is annoying with its updates and also I would like to decrease
the exposure to the complexity of fedora-33 full template wherever
possible.

I donā€™t have any suggestion for the Debian issue, but what I do to limit the updates is clone the fedora-33-minimal to a template called fedora-33-net, strip out any apps not needed, and then use that for my networking AppVMā€™s. With fewer apps there are far fewer updates to deal with.

On Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 6:55:07 PM UTC-4 stevenlc...@gmail.com wrote:

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021, 10:55 AM ā€˜taran1sā€™ via qubes-users <qubesā€¦@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi, I am trying to make work the sys-net and sys-firewall under
debian-10-minimal template, instead of fedora-33, but without success.
Fedora is annoying with its updates and also I would like to decrease
the exposure to the complexity of fedora-33 full template wherever
possible.

I donā€™t have any suggestion for the Debian issue, but what I do to limit the updates is clone the fedora-33-minimal to a template called fedora-33-net, strip out any apps not needed, and then use that for my networking AppVMā€™s. With fewer apps there are far fewer updates to deal with.

Hi,

I use Debian 10 for sys-net. It works great.

Here are the steps that works for me.

1 - Install the minimal template for debian 10

2 - Update the template

3 - Install the qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root package (if you want)

4 - Shutdown the template

5 - Create a clone of the template (deb-10-sys)

6 - Start deb-10-sys

7 - Install the following package: qubes-core-agent-networking qubes-core-agent-network-manager pciutils

8 - Shutdown deb-10-sys

9 - Change the template for sys-net to deb-10-sys (after shutting down all qubes) and start sys-net

10 - If everything works (wired and wireless) you are good to go if not

11 - Start xterm in sys-net

12 - Use lspci to see the info of the card that is not working

13 - Search the web to see which firmware needs to be installed in debian to support that card

14 - Start deb-10-sys, install the firmware and shutdown deb-10-sys

15 - Restart sys-net - everything should work

I know I have use debian for firewall and USB in the past but went back to Fedora for USB because of some issue (donā€™t even remember what issue) and I am now trying Mirage for firewall.

Hope it helps!

D.

1 Like

If your WiFi is Intel just install the "firmware-iwlwifi"

Hello,

Steve Coleman <stevenlcoleman42@gmail.com> schrieb am Do., 1. Juli 2021

Not sure if there is a big benefit using Debian over Fedora 33 but I would like to hear if there is a benefit.
I am using my own ā€œminimalizedā€ Templates which are build from a fedora-33-minimal template.
You can find more about my templates here:
https://github.com/one7two99/my-qubes/blob/master/my-qubes-templates/20%20template-sys-vms.md

The template will work for sys-net / sys-firewall / sys-usb and also for a vpn-qube.
I donā€™t see that updating my fedora-based template takes much longer than my debian templates.

One7two99

Personally I like that once I setup a Debian qube, it'll run and receive security updates for many years. I haven't looked up how quickly a Fedora qube EOLs but it 'feels' like year, maybe 18 months.

It kind of depends what you want from your setup. I've reached a point where I have plenty of stuff to do and don't want to deal with things like updates and changing interfaces any more than necessary. Don't get me wrong: I thoroughly enjoyed the learning curve and setting everything up, but now that it works I enjoy not having to think about it all the time.

/Sven