[qubes-users] Keep hard disk mounted when PC goes into suspend mode

Dear Qubes community,

I am trying to permanently mount a hard drive in such a way that it will not be removed when I put the computer into suspend mode. Unfortunately, it does not work when I do the following:

1) dom0: qvm-usb attach --persistent example-VM sys-usb:3-3

2) Open Nautilus in the example-VM and mount the harddisk.

3) Put the PC into suspend mode.

When the PC wakes up again, the hard disk is no longer accessible as sys-usb:3-3, but suddenly as sys-usb:5-3. Accordingly, the Nautilus window no longer shows the folders on the hard disk and the hard disk has disappeared from the Qube. If you then mount the hard disk again in the example VM and put the PC into suspend mode and wake it up again, then it remains with sys-usb:5-3. The hard disk is then still assigned to the example VM, but is no longer mounted there. Accordingly, it is again the case that Nautilus displays an empty window.

I have experienced this with Qubes 4.0 and Gnome Debian. Does anyone have an idea how to set it up so that the hard disk is still mounted after suspend mode?

Michael Singer

Dear Qubes community,

I am trying to permanently mount a hard drive in such a way that it will not be removed when I put the computer into suspend mode. Unfortunately, it does not work when I do the following:

1) dom0: qvm-usb attach --persistent example-VM sys-usb:3-3

2) Open Nautilus in the example-VM and mount the harddisk.

3) Put the PC into suspend mode.

When the PC wakes up again, the hard disk is no longer accessible as sys-usb:3-3, but suddenly as sys-usb:5-3. Accordingly, the Nautilus

I think the problem is that USB negotiates a new address for every connection ,even when from the same device.
In addition I suspect that your disk is bus-powered, so suspend will power down your disk also (thus the USB connection is terminated).
Maybe even the OS unmounts the disk when suspending; I'm not sure.

Ulrich