[qubes-users] Intel 7260 WiFi Problem: Failed to run INIT ucode: -110

Hi there!

I’ve been struggling to get my WiFi-Adapter working. It never has been a problem in any other distro, such as fedora, debian or arch, but in Qubes something weird is happening.

It is a Intel 7260 from a HP ZBook G2. It is using the iwlwifi kernel module which upon load will log the failure message block starting with

“Failed to load firmware chunk!”

and ending with

“Failed to run INIT ucode: -110.”

After some research i added the disable_rxq=1 flag to loading iwlwifi using qvm-prefs. That was not recognized as the kernel was too old (5.4) so I updated the kernel to 5.10 and then the flag was recognized, but it didnt change anything. Same messages.

Switching from the fedora template to debian changed nothing, except that I had to install firmware-iwlwifi for it to find the appropiate firmware (in the sys-net qube)

The name of the firmware being used is: iwlwifi-7260-17.ucode

I have reset the BIOS to default and also tried to change a few WiFI releated options which I dont really understand, but to no avail.

Every available virtualisation technology including TXT is enabled in the BIOS.

I tried to add the disable_rxq=1 flag to the xen hypervisor (by adding iwlwifi.disable_rxq=1 to the corresponding grub entry) but it didnt change anything.

Using HVM or PV did not make a difference either (in the qube Settings for sys-net).

The wifi button shows an orange color, indicating it is hard blocked and pressing it doesnt change anything, though I believe when I started out it was not orange (yesterday), not sure.

installing rfkill inside sys-net and calling “rfkill list all” didnt show anything.

Help would be much appreciated. I’m very new to Qubes. My guess is that the wifi-adapter uses perhaps some functions that are not avaialble with PCI-passthrough? Perhaps some power saving functions or whatnot.

Nicky

'nickyfuentez' via qubes-users:

It is a Intel 7260 from a HP ZBook G2. It is using the iwlwifi kernel module which upon load will log the failure message block starting with
"Failed to load firmware chunk!"
and ending with
"Failed to run INIT ucode: -110."

Help would be much appreciated. I'm very new to Qubes. My guess is that the wifi-adapter uses perhaps some functions that are not avaialble with PCI-passthrough? Perhaps some power saving functions or whatnot.

That is a good guess, and same as mine. Many of the Intel adapters are not designed to work with pass-through. You can try the permissive mode mentioned in PCI troubleshooting | Qubes OS.