[qubes-users] installing latte-dock 0.9+ in dom0

Helllo:)
I am trying to install latte dock in dom0. I am running Qubes with Kde Desktop.
My Problem is that at the offical repositority qubes-dom0-upate there is only version 0.6.1 and this version has less features. I downloaded the new version from github but don’t know how to install the install.sh, becaue I am always geting an error that cxx compiler path not found or that libQtcore.5.so (64 bi) cannot found, but it is installed.
Maybe there is a solution that I temporaly can enable network access in dom0, that I can try to install it via the kde gui or I need to do some changes at the cmakelist.txt.

I will post a screenshot of the exact error later, if I can’t fix it the next time:) But I don’t think so, because I am trying it for a few days;)

Thank you in advance for ur help-
Stay healthy and enjoy the last days of this year:)

PS: Maybe it is possible to update it in the qubes repo, that I just can install it from there?

I am trying to install latte dock in dom [...] I downloaded the new version from GitHub but don't know how to install the install.sh,

I assume you understand the security implications of this?

If you are actually at risk: don't do this! Do not modify, install or reconfigure anything in dom0 unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing and what effects this has on your security.

If you just want to tinker and learn ... have at it. :wink:

I am always getting an error that cxx compiler path not found or
that libQtcore.5.so (64 bi) cannot found, but it is installed.

That's because the install bash script attempts to actually build the
binary and you don't have the compiler or the respective Qt dev packages
installed.

Dom0 in R4.0 is based on Fedora 25, so could try to follow the
instructions for Fedora from

You'd have to call qubes-dom0-update instead like so:

sudo qubes-dom0-update cmake extra-cmake-modules qt5-qtdeclarative-devel
qt5-qtx11extras-devel kf5-kiconthemes-devel kf5-plasma-devel
kf5-kwindowsystem-devel kf5-kdeclarative-devel kf5-kxmlgui-devel
kf5-kactivities-devel gcc-c++ gcc xcb-util-devel kf5-kwayland-devel git
gettext kf5-karchive-devel kf5-knotifications-devel libSM-devel
kf5-kcrash-devel kf5-knewstuff-devel kf5-kdbusaddons-devel
kf5-kxmlgui-devel kf5-kglobalaccel-devel kf5-kio-devel

Once you have all this in place, you could run install.sh again and it
should work now.

Maybe there is a solution that I temporarily can enable network access
in dom0, that I can try to install it via the KDE GUI or I need to do
some changes at the cmakelist.txt.

No there is no way I am aware of to "temporarily enable network access in dom0" -- it also goes against everything Qubes OS is trying to accomplish.

PS: Maybe it is possible to update it in the qubes repo, that I just can install it from there?

:wink: R4.1 should be based on a much newer Fedora version. I believe Fedora 32 maybe? ... in any case I have seen posts here indicating that KDE in general might run better in R4.1 -- so if this is all fun and games and you don't rely on your machine for serious work, you might want to try the Alpha version.

/Sven

I followed ur instruction and now it is working much better.

I installed kde via the documentation here https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/kde/ and then I installed sudo-qubes-dom0-update latte dock 0.6.1 and followed ur description:)

And no I definitely don’t want to hurt my system and make it less unsecure and always will prefer an other solution:) Just good to know that there is now network access in dom0- thx:)

and I don’t use it for playing games. I just like to play with the system and make it bit more comfortable for me, like I am used to. I am using Windows for years at my office work but I don’t want to do this anymore and completely switch to qubes:) I have got a seperate ssd wth a windows 10 installation that I am using for playing games ,but qubes is just for my office work and my “IT -Hobby”

Thank you again and stay blessed:)

/Rasta

Hey:) I am now getting less erros installing an install.sh file but it even says some more errors:

• The C compiler identification is GNU 6.4.1
    – The CXX compiler identification is unknown
    – Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
    – Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc – works
    – Detecting C compiler ABI info
    – Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
    – Detecting C compile features
    – Detecting C compile features - done
    CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:1 (project):
    No CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER could be found.

Tell CMake where to find the compiler by setting either the environment
variable “CXX” or the CMake cache entry CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to the full path
to the compiler, or to the compiler name if it is in the PATH.

– Configuring incomplete

Can you help me anymore please and tell me how to fix that part?

I have got an other problem instaling kde addons in metadata.desktop files with plasmakg -i “name of the folder” . It says that everyting is successfully installed but the addon didn’t shown up in the list. maybe there is a problem with the right path, too and kde cannot find the installed addons. :slight_smile: But with ur help again I will be sure we can fix that:)

Thank you very much

I think I need to install g++ or build essential sth. like that as an compiler or? But I don’t find it at the repo

now I installed gcc. via sudo qubes-dom0-update gcc-c++ as a compiler - hope now its working. I will tell u asap I got the time:)

but how to install these metadata.desktop files correct, will be the next challenge :wink: I just like to play with my system. At the qubes kde doc there is a nice costumatizon thread, but rather a bit old. I hope that sooner or later I can get it working like I want:)
big blesses and thank you again. Ur a great community. Very helpful and a lot of knowledge . Nice to stay here .

okay now I am getting an other error:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:20 (find_package):
Could not find a configuration file for package “Qt5” that is compatible
with requested version “5.9.0”.

The following configuration files were considered but not accepted:

/usr/lib64/cmake/Qt5/Qt5Config.cmake, version: 5.7.1
/lib64/cmake/Qt5/Qt5Config.cmake, version: 5.7.1

my cmake version 64 bit is too old. Usually this should be the last part and then it should work to install a .sh but I need to update qt5. Can anybody tell me the repositority name for that missing package?
Thank u again and again:)

now I figured out that I need the file libpcre.so.1()(64bit) to update qt5 … I just found a package for fc26 but I don’t find any solution do install libpcre…

Hi RastaBaby,

it appears the version of Qt you need does not come with Fedora 25, which dom0 is based on. That probably also means that the KDE version you are running might be to old to run the thing you are trying to install (not sure though).

Bottom-line: you might be better of trying the Alpha of R4.1 which is based on Fedora 32 I think. The KDE stuff there should be much newer.

Sorry it didn't work out. There are a few KDE users here, they might be able to help you solve this.

Cheers,
/Sven