[qubes-users] Installer does not work, no templates to install

I want to reinstall Qubes 4.1, but I cannot select any templates in the installer.

Qubes 4.0 and 4.1 were already running successfully on my device and Qubes 4.0 can still be installed successfully.

In the install menu, Fedora, Debian and Whonix are missing from the software selection, which is why all templates and app vm's are missing after the installation and only dom0 remains.

On Github an issue was reported, but closed again ( Installation: Anaconda: Not asking for VNC because we don't have a network #7490 ). However, there is no solution.

How can I fix it?

'felix' via qubes-users:

I want to reinstall Qubes 4.1, but I cannot select any templates in the installer.

Qubes 4.0 and 4.1 were already running successfully on my device and Qubes 4.0 can still be installed successfully.

In the install menu, Fedora, Debian and Whonix are missing from the software selection, which is why all templates and app vm's are missing after the installation and only dom0 remains.

I've seen this before when the USB drive gets only partially created. Make sure it's large enough for the bigger 4.1 image, and if you didn't use DD to create it, try that route.

A common pitfall when creating the stick with Linux is that even after DD had finished, Linux stil ldoes writeback the dirty buffers.
If you have a slower stick without an LED, you are heading fro trouble.
Maybe try a sync before ejecting the stick.

Regards,
Ulrich

Always use conv=fsync to prevent this problem.
- --
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)
Invisible Things Lab

Our installation guide currently instructs Linux users to execute the command:

$ sudo dd if=Qubes-RX-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdY status=progress bs=1048576 && sync

Should this be changed to:

$ sudo dd if=Qubes-RX-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdY status=progress bs=1048576 conv=fsync

?

I think so, yes.
- --
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)
Invisible Things Lab

Done. Thanks!