[qubes-users] HCL - Lenovo P14s (AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U)

Fix reboots on suspend:

• activate Linux as type of OS in BIOS (enables S3 instead of S2idle)
  • add acpi_sleep=nonvs in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub
  • smt=on seems to help

Boot is a bit slow, but doing this after boot solves that, it’s possible to set under GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT with dom0_max_vcpus=2 dom0_vcpus_pin but it seems that vm get this as well.

• sudo xl vcpu-set Domain-0 2

• sudo xl vcpu-pin Domain-0 0 0

• sudo xl vcpu-pin Domain-0 1 1

Running Qubes R4.1 with kernel 5.11.4-1.fc32.qubes.x86_64 and linux-firmware 20210208-106
On install add console=vga=none dom0_max_vcpus=2 dom0_vcpus_pin to grub

Use Debian 11 for template VMs since Debian 10 is broken (at time of writing) as network-vm.
Wireless works in Fedora 33, but not out of the box in Debian 11.

Overall there’s still a bit sluggishnes from time to time. Pinning all VMs to cores helps.

Dual 2K screens acheived via 2x DP to USB-C adapter, multiport adapters does not work (single DP).

What does not work:

• Webcam
  • MST

Not tested:

• Bluetooth

Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-20Y1S02400-20210318-093409.yml (966 Bytes)

Hi Josef,

thank you for sending your HCL report. It is now part of this pull request:

... and will be merged into the website soon.

/Sven

Hi,

I applied clocksource=tsc tsc=unstable hpetbroadcast=0 Ryzen 4000 CPU Performance Issues (Lockups) · Issue #6055 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub to my grub xen cmdline and the laptop is smooth as butter and really fast.
No need for dom0_max_vcpus=2 or dom0_vcpus_pin.

Managed to get the webcam working as well.

I’m quite satisfied with the 2xDP dongle so won’t test out MST further, it may or may not work.

It’s a TPM 2.0 chipset which needs secure boot to work. I don’t have the time to work that out, so maybe TPM works? :slight_smile: I will try in XEN 4.15 :slight_smile:

Most function keys works (it seems that disable wifi does not work), not sure how to test F10-F12 (phone-related and bookmark?)

Backlight on keyboard works.

Quite satisfied, the machine is fast.

Hi Josef,

I’ve just received my P14S and you saved me from a lot of headaches :slight_smile:

For anybody else getting one of these, the following 4.1 ISO from OpenQA worked perfectly as install media:

https://openqa.qubes-os.org/tests/16831/asset/iso/Qubes-20210327-x86_64.iso

It comes with kernel 5.10.25 but after adding the Parameters mentioned by Josef it’s as fast as one would expect.
I’ve yet to test suspend / resume, so cannot say anything about that.

Thanks to Josef and the awesome Qubes community!

No problem.

I’ve been trying to get suspend/resume working properly for a while now.

It seems that the machine resumes, but there is something stalling CPUs such that VMs can’t be started properly.

If you try it out please let me know.