[qubes-users] HCL - Dell Precision M4800

I have been using Qubes 4.0.x on this laptop for some time with no major issues (only sleep/wake doesn’t work), so I thought I’d install 4.1-rc3 today.

First impression is that most things work (good resolution to external 49’’ monitor, networking, USB mouse, USB camera and microphone) BUT there is something wrong probably with the display driver that makes the GUI very sluggish (it takes approx 3 seconds for the XFCE menu to highlight the menu item over which the mouse pointer is, dragging a window redraws the window with significant lag, I can type faster than the characters of this email can be displayed in the browser window…) - which didn’t happen with 4.0.4.

If anyone can point me in the right direction on how to troubleshoot this, I would appreciate it.

Happy new year!

Alex

Qubes-HCL-Dell_Inc_-Precision_M4800-20211231-233305.yml (926 Bytes)

1 Like

Hate to say this, but after a reboot the display lag issues are gone and the system is working well. Some sort of xconfig sorcery must have taken place in the background. Anyway. Happy user of 4.1-rc3 so far, even sleep and resume seems to work, which is a welcome improvement from 4.0.4 on this hardware.

Alex

1 Like

Perfect! Thank you for your HCL report, which is [online](Hardware compatibility list (HCL) | Qubes OS) now.

/Sven

I wonder: Could it be as simple as initial cron jobs running an causing a high system (I/O) load (and in turn making other programs slow)?

Ulrich