[qubes-users] Corrupt sys-usb after VeraCrypt accident

Hey all,

I’m going to love anyone who can assist me. So I have VeraCrypt installed on my sys-usb VM so I can mount my encrypted hard drives and usb sticks. I was encrypting a new USB drive (well I thought it was my USB drive) and then VeraCrypt crashed and sys-usb won’t open any apps.

Here is what I know:

• I selected a disk called /x***/**** mounted to /rw on VeraCrypt it was 50GB same as USB (similar so I assumed that was it)

• It encrypted and formatted that disk 100%

• I noticed the USB was not formatted, so I figured something was wrong

• VeraCrypt crashed

• Now I can’t open any app on sys-usb “files” “terminal” etc

• sys-usb still works for k&m and anything I attach to it.

Is there a easy way of repairing sys-usb or resetting it?

I looked through all the help and couldn’t find any similar issues or request. Any help would be appreciated, thank you all.

Regards,

Cody

– You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “qubes-users” group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to . To view this discussion on the web visit .

'Cody Smith' via qubes-users:

Hey all,

I'm going to love anyone who can assist me. So I have VeraCrypt installed on my sys-usb VM so I can mount my encrypted hard drives and usb sticks. I was encrypting a new USB drive (well I thought it was my USB drive) and then VeraCrypt crashed and sys-usb won't open any apps.

Can't see how the procedure you describe would permanently affect sys-usb. Have you rebooted without the problem drive connected? It's not too painful to recreate a sys-usb qube if needed, but be careful if it is also handling your usb keyboard and check the related documentation.

Hey all,

I'm going to love anyone who can assist me. So I have VeraCrypt installed on my sys-usb VM so I can mount my encrypted hard drives and usb sticks. I was encrypting a new USB drive (well I thought it was my USB drive) and then VeraCrypt crashed and sys-usb won't open any apps.

Here is what I know:

* I selected a disk called /x***/**** mounted to /rw on VeraCrypt it
    was 50GB same as USB (similar so I assumed that was it)
  * It encrypted and formatted that disk 100%
  * I noticed the USB was not formatted, so I figured something was wrong
  * VeraCrypt crashed
  * Now I can't open any app on sys-usb "files" "terminal" etc
  * sys-usb still works for k&m and anything I attach to it.

Is there a easy way of repairing sys-usb or resetting it?

Welcome to the club: Once I had plugged in to USB sticks, wanting to backup one to another, when I actually overwrite the original...

In openSUSE Linux there is a rather useful "lscsi" command that gives a good summary of your (not just "SCSI") block devices (without partitions or logical devices such as LVM LVs, MD-RAIDs, etc.).

I looked through all the help and couldn't find any similar issues or request. Any help would be appreciated, thank you all.

I'm afraid there's nothing left to "repair"; it seems you musr "re-create" instead.