[qubes-users] browser plugin?

Is there a browser plugin that adds “open URL in disposable VM” function? like private tab on steroids :slight_smile:

- --
public key: https://www.svensemmler.org/0x8F541FB6.asc
fingerprint: D7CA F2DB 658D 89BC 08D6 A7AA DA6E 167B 8F54 1FB6

Is there a browser plugin that adds "open URL in disposable VM"
function? like private tab on steroids :slight_smile:

I think this is important when following an URL in Thunderbird from a non-disposable / not-anonymous VM. Copying the link and pasting it to another VM is not really very user-efficient.
Well I would not need a new VM for each link, but a _different_ VM...

You can already do this with built-in Qubes tools without any extra plug-ins or third-party programs:

1 Like

Is there a browser plugin that adds "open URL in disposable VM"
function? like private tab on steroids :slight_smile:

I think this is important when following an URL in Thunderbird from a non-disposable / not-anonymous VM. Copying the link and pasting it to another VM is not really very user-efficient.
Well I would not need a new VM for each link, but a _different_ VM...

You can already do this with built-in Qubes tools without any extra plug-ins or third-party programs:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/tips-and-tricks/#opening-links-in-your-preferred-appvm

OK, the page says: "This is unofficial, third-party documentation. The Qubes OS Project cannot guarantee the accuracy of this page. Please exercise caution."

Despite of that in debian.10 there is no ~/.local/share/applications; you must create the directory fist (it seems).

The other question is when I want to open all links in a DVM (starting a new DVM/browser for every link looks like overkill to me), how can I set APPVMNAME correctly (it will have a name like "disp9474", changing whenever on is started). And can such DVM be started automatically if there is none yet?

Regards,
Ulrich

Hi,

I'm not sure how to do that, but I seem to recall someone posting a guide for doing that recently on the forum or qubes-users. Try searching in both places.

By the way, I strongly encourage you to include the appropriate mailing list on these messages, so that you can potentially receive helpful replies from other people besides me. More on this:

Help, support, mailing lists, and forum | Qubes OS

Mea culpa: I'm using many lists with different conventions and different MUAs also. Occasionally I reply the wrong way without intention. Sorry! I realized that I had not replied to the list most of the time that day...

I am not sure who wrote:

The other question is when I want to open all links in a DVM
(starting a new DVM/browser for every link looks like overkill to
me), how can I set APPVMNAME correctly (it will have a name like
"disp9474", changing whenever on is started). And can such DVM be
started automatically if there is none yet?

You might want to create a named disposable qube...

qvm-create --class DispVM --template dvm-template --label red named-dvm

... then in the qubes.OpenURL policy file you can append default_target to the ask like so:

$anyvm $dispvm ask,default_target=named-dvm

What that does:

* named-dvm is just like any other dispvm but you gave it a specific name as opposed to disp123

* when you click a link you still get the policy dialog, but the named dispvm is preselected

... I used to do that, but then decided that I want the extra security of having a new disp vm for each link. I am sometimes tired or distracted and want to have as many automatic safety in place as I can to prevent information leakage.

Also: even though it is slightly inconvenient I strongly recommend to have Javascript disabled by default (NoScript, Torbrowser on 'safest', etc). This way you can still enable it if you decide you need it, but nothing happens by default.

/Sven