[qubes-users] Boot hold after update

I’ve been trying to install Qubes on an external hard drive to test it out but I’ve ran into an issue. I’ve followed this guide since it’s the same laptop I have (System76 Darter Pro).

I changed out the wifi card and was able to run the updates in dom0:

sudo qubes-dom0-update kernel-latest

sudo qubes-dom0-update kernel-latest-qubes-vm

After each update, I restart my computer and then set the new kernel to current (5.9.14-1 in both the kernel and vm). However, after I update the vm I’m prompted for another update to dom0 and the whonix gateway template. I run those, and restart my computer and that’s where I run into problems.

I’m prompted to inpu t my decryption password in a GUI that’s showing a progress bar for the boot process, and then it takes me out of the GUI into a “Started Accounts Services” list and continues to try and boot until it says “Starting Hold until boot process finishes up…” and it will just sit there for as long as I’ll let it. I’m unable to Ctrl+Alt+F2 or Ctrl+Alt+F1 into a terminal or GUI, or interact with it in any way (no cursor, typing, etc.). Reboots don’t fix it.

I tried a fresh install after the first time this happened and followed the same steps, and the same thing happened. I tried searching but couldn’t find anything to try. Any help is greatly appreciated!