[qubes-users] Anti Evil Maid (AEM) - Qubes 4.1.1 - boot fails to mount when booting with AEM

Hi All,

Summary:

(Attachment issue-logs.tar is missing)

In the bootlog-journalctl.log file I noticed that the following error was present early on in the booting process.

Sep 16 20:27:45 dom0 kernel: tpm_tis 00:08: can’t request region for resource [mem 0xfed40000-0xfed44fff window]
Sep 16 20:27:45 dom0 kernel: tpm_tis: probe of 00:08 failed with error -16

Because of this, I booted up normally (without aem) and checked which kernel module for tpm was present when the system was functioning as normal. To my surprise it was using tpm_infineon, not tpm_tis which is being using when I boot up with the AEM grub menu option.

Right now my current goal is to configure AEM and the kernel to utilize tpm_infineon instead of tpm_tis. I started off by changing the mentions of tpm_tis from the scripts located in the /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/90anti-evil-maid/* to tpm_infineon. And then proceeded to generate new initramfs images.

I then proceeded to try to boot with the AEM option and it appears to still be attempting to use the tpm_tis module. After some research (sorry i’m a bit of a noob). I came to the conclusion that I would need to compile a new kernel for dom0 with tpm_tis disabled and tpm_infineon enabled.

Note I also added an entry to /etc/modules.d/tpm_infineon.conf with “tpm_infineon” (not sure if this will help).

I’m currently working to compile the kernel following the guide at Managing qube kernels | Qubes OS. Taking a while as I encountered the error mentioned in the comments on that thread regarding a missing file in the documentation folder while running “make menu config”. And to resolve this I need to check out that specific version of the linux kernel from git.kernel.org to get a copy of a valid “Documentation/” folder so that I can run “make menuconfig”

Sep 16 20:29:27 dom0 systemd-fsck[2696]: /dev/sda1 is in use.
Sep 16 20:29:27 dom0 systemd-fsck[2696]: e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.
Sep 16 20:29:27 dom0 systemd-fsck[2694]: fsck failed with exit status 8.
Sep 16 20:29:27 dom0 systemd-fsck[2694]: Ignoring error.

Sounds odd IMHO.

Sep 16 20:29:27 dom0 systemd[1]: Mounting /boot...
Sep 16 20:29:27 dom0 mount[2697]: mount: /boot: /dev/sda1 already mounted or mount point busy.

Something's wrong.