[qubes-users] A start job is running for Start Qubes VM sys-net. FOREVER.

As the title says. I’ve upgraded to the latest kernel (5.11) on qubes 4.0 and now boot is stuck. How do I get out of this? :slight_smile:

Fab

you go back: boot a life linux, mount your UEFI partition, search for
/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg or /efi/EFI/BOOT/xen.cfg and edit the first
line, by copying one of the available kernel-names from list below. It's
straightforward. Use nano editor, for example. Crtl-k cuts a line,
crtl-u pastes it back. A second crtl-u gives a clean second copy. that
way you avoid typing errors. good luck

– You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “qubes-users” group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to . To view this discussion on the web visit .

Booting from a live version and switching to the old kernel solved it. Has anyone else experienced something similar with kernel 5.11 or it is just myself? I had a boot fuckup with kernel 5.10 as well a few weeks ago, but I just waited for the next release and that solved it. I’d like to understand if the situation is similar here or if it’s a problem of my machine, in which case I’ll investigate deeper.

Booting from a live version and switching to the old kernel solved it.
Has anyone else experienced something similar with kernel 5.11 or it is
just myself? I had a boot fuckup with kernel 5.10 as well a few weeks
ago, but I just waited for the next release and that solved it. I'd like
to understand if the situation is similar here or if it's a problem of
my machine, in which case I'll investigate deeper.

there are several issues. Like

but they might be unrelated, as well.

These are not directly related to kernel 5.11. My problem started when I upgraded from 5.10 to 5.11.

As the title says. I've upgraded to the latest kernel (5.11) on qubes 4.0 and now boot is stuck. How do I get out of this? :slight_smile:

Last time I had this (outside of Qubes OS) was when I had configured a disk device that did not exist. For some reason Xen tried again and again instead of quitting. I found the problem by inspecting the Xen logs.
Anyway I'd guess systemd will timeout the VM start at some time (allowing the boot to continue). Did you try to be patient?

You can mask the unit in the GRUB kernel command line with the parameter:

systemd.mask=qubes-vm@sys-net.service

I think this should go into the Qubes OS FAQ (like "boot parameters for troubleshooting")!