Qubes OS documentation

Don’t forgot to check out the Qubes OS documentation. If you’d like to contribute to it, it is accessible on Github here and review the contributing guidelines.

10 Likes

been using qubes for a couple weeks now, about a week as a daily driver, and i have been spending quite a bit of time with the documentation, as well as fumbling my way through figuring out how to adapt my workflow to qubes. while the documentation has been extremely helpful in most situtations i’ve run in to, i find myself thinking that if the internal documentation was fleshed out a bit ( i.e. tooltips and ?/help boxes ) it would definitely ease the slope of the learning curve. i sometimes find the wording in the dialog boxes to be ambiguous as well. is there an appropriate way to submit these suggestions? should i just file bug requests with screenshots of what i’m talking about? or start a forum thread?

2 Likes

Good stuff.

My preference would be for the discussion to take place here or in the
qubes-devel mailing list, so that a fleshed out proposal can be put to
GitHub.

If you look at qubes-issues you will see that there are some issues
that get completely bogged down in bike shedding, and never reach a
conclusion.

That’s my preference.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.
When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.
1 Like

Tell me, is there any reasonable explanation for the disappearance of the Custom installation section from the Documentation section of the site today?

From the GitHub repo:

1 Like

@andrewdavidwong

It says that the outdated content of the page was misleading.

Could you explain what was wrong with the page?

@andrewdavidwong can reply in detail, if he wishes.
My perception is that the page was outdated and there were a number of
issues raised about the content.
No one stepped up to deal with those issues, or provide improvements to
those pages.
Andrew took the not unreasonable decision that it was better to have
nothing, rather than something that contained numerous errors.

The documentation is a collaborative exercise, and any one can make
suggestions or improvements to it.
Unfortunately, very few users do this.

If any one wants to provide input to the section on Custom
Installation, then the old material can be found in Git history.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.
2 Likes

Thank you for your response
now i’m scared of what kind of errors i have in my system if i installed it according to this manual?

It’s not likely that you have any errors if you successfully
installed Qubes.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.
2 Likes

The commit message, which @ChrisA helpfully linked, and @unman’s post both explain the situation clearly. You can also read this thread for even more context:

If there is still something unclear, please be specific about what exactly is unclear, and I will do my best to clarify.

As far as I know, you couldn’t have followed those instructions when installing Qubes 4.1, since the installer had changed so much, which is why that page was so problematic.

2 Likes

thank you for your answer

indeed, when I first tried to install the system according to that instruction, I failed and then I slightly changed the installation, leaving the partitioning and encryption proposed in it, and somehow I already forgot that I did not follow this instruction “word-for-word”

1 Like

Documentation is too old. Its very difficult to install it. We need more video tutorials! Much more!

1 Like

Want to help us make some? :slight_smile:

@adw Would there ever be an interest to coordinate an in-person or online training boot camp? Something you could charge for obviously, but trying to pull together those most knowledgeable to demonstrate setup/configuration/best practices and various use cases. In turn, allowing the attendees to help distribute that knowledge if they choose to do so.

EDIT: I guess I should have read the website news a little more. :wink:
https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2023/08/25/qubes-os-summit-2023/

I don’t think the Qubes Summits are exactly what you described, but they’re probably the closest thing to it for now. I suppose this forum also serves some of the functions you have in mind (but asynchronously).