Qubes-OS 4.0.3 and/or 4.1 on AMD Ryzen 5 4600H and AMD Ryzen 7 4800H?

Hi Qubians,

I’m testing Qubes-OS 4.0.3 on AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with integrated Radeon Vega Mobile GFX for around three month now, and it works, slow and a bit cumbersome but it works. I’ve been following the relevant discussions too [1]. I got this machine to test for the real thing that will happen by end of September and end of October when I get the new tailored laptops from Tuxedo-Computers; first the one with Ryzen 5 4600H and then Ryzen 7 4800H. So, I lost hope that I will have any chance to get Qubes-OS installed on those machines in a way that I can hand them over to not-so-technical people. I think the best for now is that I return to my KVM installation method. Do I miss something? Thoughts?

I think the main problem with Qubes-OS is the dependence on Xen. Xen is mainly a server or desktop virtualization, and then a laptop solution. In theory, as written in Joanna’s Qubes-OS Architecture [2], Xen is the way to go for all the reasons she’s giving, but it seems to me it’s not very practical for laptop users. Maybe for that reason KVM would have been a better base. This Xen laptop problem won’t go away ever, the Xen Project will be always be behind of newer laptops.Just some thoughts at the end.

[1]

I also have a email filter for AMD related posts.

[2] Qubes Architecture - arch-spec-0.3.pdf

I just noticed that the first link (AMD Ryzen issues) doesn’t work. Below a new one:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues?q=AMD+Ryzen+is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen