Qubes Compatibility With Graphic Tablet

Hello, everyone.

I’m interested in Qubes and I’m willimg to learn but first I need to know if this OS would support a graphic tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro L.

Thanks in advance for your time.

1 Like

If you ever get it installed and decide to use sys-usb make sure to edit /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.InputTablet

sys-usb dom0 allow,user=root
$anyvm $anyvm deny

Sorry, I’m a total noob about this.
So, does that mean I can use the tablet ? Or does that mean I could try it and see what happens?

It’s been a long time since I used a Wacom on QubesOS, but from what I remember I had some issues with the pressure sensors and extra buttons. However, I eventually figured it out. I didn’t use an Intuos Pro L though. You should try it out, but keep in mind it might take you some time to get it to work properly, specially if you never used Qubes before. You must read the Qubes documentation carefully and don’t forget not to give up easily, even you fail a couple of times, persistence prevails !

2 Likes

Other users have reported success with Wacom too, so there is that.
But it’s unlikely to work out of the box: the basics will, but there’ll
be some extra work involved. But that’s also the case in a stock distro
tbh.

Thanks, everyone.
I think is time to install the OS and then, the tablet.

1 Like

I’m also interested in that topic, however I haven’t bought it yet (but I use qubes as main OS).

Do you have any resources I should read?
Do I have to install additional drivers as explained here?
Do you have any recommended devices? (I’m not focused on specific brand but for 100% compatibility with linux and quality of device - to be usable after two years…)
Did anyone test device with connected to appVM not to dom0 if yes, what are the differences?

I’ll need it for online schooling, especially this online whiteboard and to draw some uncomplicated “material design” logos so It don’t need much.

Could you help me please? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Qubes might not be a good option if you’re intending to leverage the pressure sensitivity part of it. I’ve never been able to get that part working.

However so long as the requires policies (/usr/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.InputMouse & /usr/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.InputTablet) are enabled, & so long as the tablet is attached to Dom0, it should just work out of the box. I actually grabbed my older Wacom Intuos Art Medium from by closet & plugged it into my desktop to test. I was able to use it as an input device, but I couldn’t use pressure sensitivity in Krita.

1 Like

Sorry, in the end I was intimidated by the level of knowledge needed to handle this operating system: I don’t have the time to learn, maybe in a vacation season I could give it a try.
In these months I’ve been trying other more common and popular ones and graphics tablets work fine on most of them.

1 Like

how about XP-Pen ( https://www.xp-pen.com ) graphic tablet, does it compatible with qubes?

1 Like

Hi @shaohou, welcome to the community!

I checked on the hardware compatibility list and it seems no one has reported that device running it successfully. Doesn’t mean it can’t. So it’s always a bet whether or not it will work, unfortunately. But others in the community may be able to take a look at the hardware of that device and provide a better indication if it has chances of working well with Qubes.

@shaohou I’ve tried the Deco Mini 7 and it doesn’t work out of the box, its detected but even with attaching it to dom0 or my fedora qube it didn’t work. Worked out of the box on my normal fedora laptop though, so not sure if it’s not supported at all or needs extra configuration.

1 Like

What was the brand/model of your device?

Also, I would appreciate if there were more specific brand/model reports under this thread.

I using wacom one as a mouse
here my config as bash file in dom0
enjoy

2 Likes