Qubes 4.2: updating fails due to file conflict

I have an installation of Qubes 4.2 (originally some RC, clean installation). When trying to update dom0 a few ago, I got this error:
Error: Transaction test error: file /usr/bin/qubes-policy-editor from install of qubes-core-qrexec-4.2.17-1.fc37.x86_64 conflicts with file from package qubes-desktop-linux-manager-4.2.11-1.fc37.noarch
Since today it is still the same, I am now looking for a way out. I didn’t find anybody else experiencing this on the forum or the issue tracker. Is there a solution which doesn’t entail reinstalling?

Interestingly, Qubes Global Config says my QubesOS version is 4.2.0-alpha. Maybe that is related? But updating worked fine before this, so I can’t imagine I am really still on alpha?

Try updating qubes-desktop-linux-manager first with sudo qubes-dom0-update --action=update qubes-desktop-linux-manager and then retry normal update.

Thanks for the response! Trying that tells me “Nothing to do.”, and the following update has the same error message.

Interesting, the most recent version of qubes-desktop-linux-manager is 4.2.17, not 4.2.11, you should see an update. Try maybe adding --clean option, or --refresh.

That sadly also didn’t work. However, I got it to update:
In Qubes Global Config under “Updates” I had selected “Enable security-related testing updates only”. Disabling that gave me a heap of updates. Maybe I misunderstood this setting, I assumed it was stable+security testing updates? But maybe it was literally just security testing updates?
While it works now, I guess the myriad of missed updates meant I dom0 was potentially vulnerable? Guess re-installing might be necessary :confused:

That’s not how it should have happened, I’ll check this - but could you also make an issue on github issues for this? ( Issues · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub ) will help with tracking the problem.

Also added the update log, if that’s interesting.