Qubes 4.1 Rebooting after entering valid LUKS pass

Hello,

so recently I’ve built an 4.1 ISO (23rd March master branch) and succesfully installed on my Zenbook Dual Pro. It mostly works, but I’ve noticed a few issues (perhaps bugs?), that raised an eyebrow.

I’ve had to add to grub nouveau.modeset=0 rd.blacklist.drivers=nouveau as otherwise the LUKS passphrase screen was flickering. Other than that it’s just a standard startup procedure.

So, after I enter a valid LUKS password, the progress bar is progressing until 100% (a bit faster than on my previous laptop, but more or less in expected timeframe). Once it reaches 100%, the laptop reboots - I see Asus splash screen, then I’m back to LUKS passphrase screen again.

So I suspect there may be some kernel panic happening or maybe some bug (though sometimes it just works the first time).

Ofcourse, glitches are expected, there is a reason it’s not a stable release yet, and it’s not critical (it just doubles the startup time), but I’d like to try and get to the bottom of whats happening - however I just don’t know where to start looking.

Anyone experienced something similar? I’ve tried to google past issues, but didn’t find anything. Is there any log I could inspect to understand why it reboots?

With love,
ioleo

/var/log/Xorg.*.log
journalctl -D /your_mounted_offline_dom0/var/log/journal

Does it happen if you remove nouveau blacklist entry from grub?

This seems to be the relevant part (the only one containing (EE) which stands for errors). Not suprisingly, something to do with nouveau.

[  4185.600] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Mar 24 18:16:39 2021

Xorg.0.log (3.6 KB)

Today I’ve booted on the first go. Yesterday when I wrote this post I encountered the reboot. I have not changed any configuration since yesterday. So it seems its happening at random.