Purism Librem 15 v4 with Qubes 4.1

I’ve used this laptop as my primary machine for 2 to 3 weeks. It performs very well with Qubes 4.1. The system has never crashed going into or waking up from suspend. However sys-net has to be restarted after waking up from suspend nearly every time. This is a minor inconvenience and is the only glitch I’ve found so far. I’ve confirmed the following works:

webcam
speakers
microphone
usb ports
built-in wifi

On a 1 to 10 scale of usability (10 being best) I would rate the machine a 9 with Qubes 4.1.

Qubes-HCL-Purism-Librem_15_v4-20221124-210717.yml (903 Bytes)

1 Like

It’s the same on my L15v3. However with the latest Fedora updates, it seems to work sometimes. Also Qubes 4.0 never had such issues.

2 Likes

Suspend is not as reliable as it used to be. I used to never have a problem, but nowadays it crashes about half of the time on suspend.

#user-support:hcl-reports

I’ve been running the Librem 15 v4 with Qubes Os for about 1 year now, and I can say that it works great with Qubes Os.

What’s working for me:

• Built-in Wifi card
  • Built-in microphone
  • Webcam
  • All USB ports
  • Speakers
  • Backlight keyboard

Suspend was not working for me 1 year ago but it seems to work correctly after upgrating to the new kernel-latest.

The biggest issue for me on this model is the CPU FAN high load and is extremely loud all the time.

Unfortunately, Purism doesn’t really offer any Bios customization which is a shame.

I solved this problem by installing a custom firmware.

Qubes-HCL-Purism-Librem_15_v4 :slight_smile: :

---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'laptop'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  ''
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  Purism
model: |
  Librem 15 v4
bios: |
  4.18-Purism-1
cpu: |
  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:5904] (rev 02)
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620 [8086:5916] (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Intel Corporation Device [8086:9d24] (rev 21)
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
memory: |
scsi: |
  CT500MX500SSD1   Rev: 023 
usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'FIXME:yes|no|partial'
  qubes: |
    R4.1
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    5.15.94-1
  remark: |
    FIXME
  credit: |
    FIXAUTHOR
  link: |
    FIXLINK

---

Qubes-HCL-Purism-Librem_15_v4-20230409-141615.yml (876 Bytes)

@Sven

1 Like

Thank you @RIP for your HCL report, which is online now!

thinkfan might be able to give you some relief. It can be used with most non-ThinkPad laptops too. Search the forum, this is not the first time this comes up.

3 Likes