Proposal for re-organizing the HCL

OK, I’m the advanced user.

A few days into this coming year, I will take a call from a non-advanced user.

“Can I use this computer for Qubes?”

And thus begins me spelling commands using the phonetic alphabet and waiting for them to send me screen shots and stuff.

That’s not an advanced user alone tool, it’s an onboarding thing.

@nealr
I think, the case you describe is NOT about HCL reports (existing or proposed in this topic).

I mean for me, HCL reports as they are today are not giving enough information to make any decision. If we talk about a laptop I would prefer to know how suspend works on it, if the keyboard is ps/2, is wifi works out of box and recovers after suspend and etc. Qubes OS works almost on any hardware, but the difference is in details that can and should be provided from actual Qubes OS running. It can be indeed LiveCD that existed and was dropped (if I remember correctly). But GNU/Linux liveCD does not look a reliable solution to me to make a buying decision of a laptop targeting Qubes OS.

1 Like

I think it should be recommended. Well, at least in the future advanced reorganized HCL reports compare table. For this purpose can you, please, also fill the detailed report based on this template:

Example of user providing the answers is here. The more information the better, it may be helpful to other users, thank you.

Is “tap as click” supposed to work? I thought that clicking the touchpad to click was the expected behavior.

Also, xinput is not installed by default on Qubes 4.2.0:

$ xinput --list
bash: xinput: command not found

Do you want me to use libinput list-devices instead?

It can be configured in Menu → System Tools → Mouse and Touchpad

2 Likes

I can happily note, that users have started to submit HCL reports with a lot of details following the template above, without any messages from me:

1. HCL - Lenovo ThinkCentre m910x
  2. HP Dragonfly G4 (Costco)

So, maybe the template was added to some HCL-report recommendation post or what is happening?

2 Likes

I reviewed other HCL reports before submitting mine and saw some with the additional information, so I included it.

2 Likes

yeah, I’ve read most of the recent HCLs and saw the use/posts to use the suggested template and ended up using it as a basis to fill out what I could.

2 Likes