Post installation - Pre-Update

So it seems everyone recognizes and accepts the limitations of the Qubes documentation, and that’s fine. But there’s a big hole in between the successful installation and the updating dom0 process. Following the documentation, I’m not connected to the Internet yet after installation and boot, and I don’t see any obvious method by which to do so. So attempting to update anything is pointless. What am I missing?

1 Like

I think you might’ve gotten confused.

Are you referring to the green box after the Installation summary?

Did you know? The Qubes OS installer is completely offline. It doesn’t even load any networking drivers, so there is no possibility of internet-based data leaks or attacks during the installation process.

If that’s the case, it only refers to the installer. After you’ve configured your system (with the first time setup), and you’ve logged into your system, you can connect to the internet and perform any activity you would normally.

From the installation until this point, I completely understand.

" After you’ve configured your system (with the first time setup), and you’ve logged into your system, you can connect to the internet and perform any activity you would normally."

This is where you lost me. I’ve logged into my system, but HOW do I connect to the Internet from there? I can’t do it as I would normally because normally connecting to the Internet is pretty straightforward. I don’t even see an option in Qubes…

What is meant here is that you can open one of your qubes for example browser in personal qube and internet would work there.

How would it work there? My connection to the Internet hasn’t been configured yet. I’m asking where do I configure the connection to the internet, because it doesn’t happen automatically…

You can configure your network settings using sys-net’s Network Manager icon in tray.
If you don’t have this icon in tray then either:

1. sys-net qube is not started and you need to start it.
  2. There is no networking device in sys-net Qube Settings in Devices tab attached to sys-net and you need to add the network device to sys-net.
  3. There is a networking device in sys-net Qube Settings in Devices tab but it’s driver is missing and you need to install it.
1 Like

Thank you. That’s what I needed to know. I appreciate it.