Perfect QubesOS Hardware with a dedicated GPU for passthrough?

I was thinking, and was trying to determine what my perfect ideal hardware would be for a computer to run QubesOS. I was surprised to find almost no options would fit my requirements

The perfect computer to run QubesOS (for me) would be one that has the following:
• QubesOS compatibility
• Ability to disable Intel Management engine (me_cleaner or simply disabling)
• Dedicated GPU to do GPU passthrough (dedicated port for GPU if laptop)
• Modern-ish hardware

Nice to haves would include:
• Potential high ram upgrade
• Smaller size
• Open source firmware/bios
• Trackpoint (if laptop)

To my surprise, there are no laptops/desktops that I have found which can fit the first requirements. The closest thing I could find would be Purism, but Purism’s laptops do not have dedicated GPUs. The closest thing I could find would be a corebooted thinkpad x230, using a dedicated GPU as seen here however it is very old hardware and will probably be slow to use.

Another solution to meet these requirements would be a custom built computer using the Z690-A motherboard, since this has recently been upstreamed to coreboot however this wouldn’t work well for people who need to move their computer around a lot, since it would be a huge build.

Does anyone know of any extra ideas to fulfill these requirements? I would love somebodies input on my thought process.

1 Like

Not a lot of laptops can do GPU pass-through. Most laptops that have both internal graphics and GPU have both display devices hard-wired to the same outputs, and they can’t be used at the same time.

You can look for a laptop with optimus hardware, as far as I know it’s your only option if you want to do GPU pass-through on a laptop. Even if you find a laptop that is physically able to do pass-through, it also needs to be supported by qubes.

Once you have checked all the boxes, you end up with a short list.

Even if you get it working, you would still need to carry around a second monitor to do the GPU pass-through.

I use Librem 14 pretty happy with it.

It looks like this requirement makes your question very different from earlier ones (which already have a good answer).

Therefore, I updated the title to reflect that.

2 Likes

My computer has all of these requirements. It’s an specked out version of the certified FidelisGuard, but with some higher specs. See this other discussion:

I detail here some of my experiences setting up GPU passthrough

2 Likes

Hi guys,

If I may briefly weigh in with a question and thank you very much for the stimulating discussion so far: I recently ordered a laptop from Eurocom with the following configurations, hoping to get GPU passthrough on the marvel. Now I am wondering if this would work as I will have an Intel iGPU and a dedicated NVIDIA one. (I insisted on the MXM module, that’s why only RTX3080).

EUROCOM Sky Z7 R2

• Choose your LCD Display** 17.3in (43.9cm); 144Hz; UHD 3840x2160; Matte; 100% DCI-P3; eDP; for Sky Z7 R2
  • G-Sync with NVIDIA G-SYNC™
  • Security - ANTI SPYING Package Physical Removal of internal Webcam, Microphone and WLAN/Bluetooth Module
  • Display Calibration Professional Display Calibration with .icc Profile Saved on USB Flash Key
  • GPU Technology Single GPU support; Modular MXM3; Upgradeable
  • Primary GPU-1 16GB GDDR6; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080; 6144 CUDA; MXM 3.1; PCIe 4.0; GN20-E7-A1; 150W+15W Dynamic Boost; 1950MHz Boost Clock; 100x124mm
  • GPU Heatsink - Thermal Paste Grizzly Kryonaut; Ultra High Performance Thermal Grease
  • Processor / CPU Intel Core i9-10900KF/K; 10C/20T; 3.70GHz (up to 5.30GHz); 20MB cache; 14nm; Comet Lake; 125W
  • CPU Heatsink - Thermal Paste Grizzly Kryonaut; Ultra High Performance Thermal Grease
  • Memory (RAM) Configuration 32GB; 2x 16GB; DDR4-3200; Micron/Crucial; 260-pin; 1.2V; 2 SODIMMs
  • Operating System(s) None
  • Keyboard (Language) Swiss German ; QWERTZ; Backlit
  • Internal M.2 SSD Storage 250GB; M.2; SSD; NVMe 1.4; PCIe 3.0 x4; R/W: 3500/3000 MB/s; SAMSUNG 980
  • Internal Card Reader 6-in-1 Card Reader; MMC/RSMMC/SD/MiniSD/SDHC/SDXC; UHS-II interface
  • Biometric Device Built-in Fingerprint Reader
  • Embedded Security Chip Embedded TPM 2.0 Security Chip for Data Encryption
  • Wireless LAN 2-in-1; Intel AX200; WiFi 6 802.11ax + BT 5.2; up to 2.4Gbps; WLAN Module; M.2 2230; Wi-Fi(PCIe), BT(USB)
  • Add Extra LAN Port(s) to your laptop 1GbE USB 3.0 Fiber to Open SFP Adapter; RTL8153-VC-CG; 1000BASE-SX/LX; Startech US1GA30SFP
  • Fiber Optic Transceiver for your MSA switch and router 2x Fiber Optic Transceivers; 1x SPF1000SXST + 1x SPF1000SXST
  • Built-in Web Camera 2.0 Megapixels; Webcam; Built-in
  • Standard Battery (internal) 8-cells Lithium-lon Battery; Easy to change
  • Standard Power Cord - included EUROPE
  • Standard AC Adapter 780W AC Adapter; 110V-250V Auto Switching; 325x110x40mm; 3lbs/1.3kg; with DC cable
  • Choose Your Warranty Plan 3 Years Return to Factory Depot with 3 Years of Tech Support
  • Extra Thermal Pads for M.2; VRAM; RAM** Fujipoly Ultra Extreme XR Thermal Pads for M.2 SSD; Chipset, VRAM and RAM

Would you recommend this and could I possibly hope to be able to game on the laptop itself or would I need another screen despite this?