Password for user is locked

I’m following through a guide that requires me to create a new system user. The guide is this, but I don’t think it’s relevant.

The problem I encounter is this: at some point, I’m required to have sudo privileges to do some of this stuff as NEWUSER, but if I try to use sudo as NewUser I’m prompted the following error message:

/usr/lib/security-misc/pam-abort-on-locked-password: INFO: Password for user "newuser" is locked.
/usr/lib/security-misc/pam_tally2-info: WARNING: 3 failed login attempts.
/usr/lib/security-misc/pam_tally2-info: Login will be blocked after 50 attempts.
/usr/lib/security-misc/pam_tally2-info: You have 47 more attempts before unlock procedure is required.

Sorry, try again.
/usr/lib/security-misc/pam-abort-on-locked-password: INFO: Password for user "newuser" is locked.
/usr/lib/security-misc/pam_tally2-info: WARNING: 4 failed login attempts.
/usr/lib/security-misc/pam_tally2-info: Login will be blocked after 50 attempts.
/usr/lib/security-misc/pam_tally2-info: You have 46 more attempts before unlock procedure is required.

Sorry, try again.
/usr/lib/security-misc/pam_tally2-info: WARNING: 5 failed login attempts.
/usr/lib/security-misc/pam_tally2-info: You have 45 more attempts before unlock procedure is required.

sudo: 3 incorrect password attempts

I’m never asked for any password. Any idea?

You need to give NEWUSER rights to use sudo.
In Debian you can edit /etc/sudoers and either add a line for NEWUSER
or add NEWUSER to the sudo group: sudo usermod -a -G sudo NEWUSER, and
enable that group in the sudoers file.

Many problems that people have in Qubes are actually not Qubes specific.
This is one of those.
You can find many guides online to enabling sudo in Debian, and those
should help you. The only Qubes specific part is that you have to do
this in the template.
N.B I don’t use Whonix and don’t know if it requires something special.