Only receiving maximum 2 hours of battery life

For context, I use a Intel i7 laptop. I run 1 cube at a time at the most. Even when it’s charged at 100%, I’m only getting a maximum of 2 hours of battery life.

Is this normal? If not, how can I fix it?

1 qube, that would be like dom0?

battery life is shorter than non virtualization, thats true.

you might can extent battery life with newer intel processors by using efficency cores for most of your tasking rather the performance cores. what generation is your processor?

11th generation

You can try to add cpufreq=xen:hwp as Xen parameter to Grub to use HWP for frequency scaling::

The problem also may be because of dGPU consumption if your laptop has one. You may want to disable it.

1 Like

Could you explain further on what CPU frequency scaling failure mean?

I don’t have a dGpu

Just implemented what you said. It doesn’t work

How long is your battery life on a regular Linux distribution? One of the reasons is this:

If all your tasks require the GPU then your battery life will drastically decrease.

There’s a sensor viewer. You can see the power drain through the ACPI sensor. Normally it would be ~5 watt on idle, and can burst up to ~20 watt when under load. If you are seeing extremely high power drain, try to set power-saving mode in the BIOS and in xenpm.

The sensors can be read by running sensors as the root user in a dom0 terminal.

Battery life on Qubes is “poor at best.” There’s no way around it, it’s just a somewhat inefficient way of handling computing.

You can add a Xen boot parameter that may improve things: sched_smt_power_savings

https://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/misc/xen-command-line.html#sched_smt_power_savings

It won’t help a ton, but it will help some.

You may also look at the xen-pm command line options to disable turbo. That can help a lot.

Try lowering your monitor’s brightness, as the default setting
tends to be very high and a big battery drain.
Check out what hardware you have enabled in your BIOS, and see
what you can live without, such as Bluetooth if you aren’t using it.

If I’m aware that basically running Qubes is like running multiple computers into one, then single battery couldn’t provide longevity of running “multiple computers”.

Also, if we interpret official statement that “Qubes OS is a free and open-source, security-oriented operating system for single-user desktop computing”, then this could imply that if it’s about desktop, it’s not about mobility.

At the end, did anyone tested battery life running numerous virtual machines in VirtualBox under Windows as host? I’d bet, results would be way much worse than under Qubes.

I think this means Qubes OS is not for servers.

1 Like

Of course, that’s why I wrote it could imply in a broader context.

1 Like

speaking of servers: someone© could go cookoo-banana and install proxmox on their laptop for a much closer comparising result between a usable xen bases enduser operating system and a server running a bunch of vms in KVM/QEMU - but is it really worth comparing? we know now this OS eats a lot of resources else it would be as compartmentalized as it should be. :frowning: