Only Mono Audio from USB Audio Card

Hello All,

I’ve been using Qubes with relative success. One challenge I have is with using an external audio device (Sennheiser GSX 1000, https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/8226/GSX_1000_-_Fact_sheet.pdf). Audio works however it only comes through as mono audio.

How can I make this work with better fidelity? I’m sure it comes down to a driver issue but the qubes driver / no internet approach confuses me a little still. Apologies for any denseness portrayed on my part here.

Thanks in advance

For debugging, you can try to use your USB Audio Card in the sys-usb (ideally, for best security, it should be disposable). It should work like on a standard Linux. If it works there, then your problem is probably with attaching it to other qubes.

Sorry for the delay, I’ll look into this… I’ve not looked much into sys-usb, I need to anyway for hardware wallets.

Necrobumping, but might be interesting for other people using the same hardware.
I recently bought the GSX 1200.

To setup a working audiovm with 7.1 support I needed to:

• Follow theses instruction Setting up an audio VM - #24 by hamenarin , but replace fedora-34-xfce by fedora-35-xfce as official support for 7.1 was added for pulseaudio 15.0 and pulseaudio 15.0 is available for fedora-35+ ( see the “packages” part of this post for the package that need to be installed Guide on using an USB audio device with Qubes 4.1 - #3 by enmus )
  • Doing a USB passthrough of the GSX 1200 seems to not be supported (Linux kernel complaining about “usb usbX: Not yet implemented” ), so I ended up merging the audiovm with the usbvm for this usb controller
1 Like