Noticed that my working f35 template is shown as not installed

About to upgrade from feodra-35 to 36 and i noticed that,

qvm-template list

Shows only the two whonix templates gw/ws as installed and offers debian 10/11 and fedora 32 - 36 as available.

qvm-template-gui

Offers even more templates as available, centos-8, fedora-37, gentoo, kali and previous whonix-15.

What’s the question here? Is this a support request?

kinda, might just be cosmetic as to why isn’t fedora-35 listed as installed template

In dom0 run:

$ dnf info qubes-template-fedora-35

Check if it shows. If it doesn’t maybe you removed it and reinstalled it in some other way, perhaps a clone?

$ sudo dnf info qubes-template-fedora-35
Qubes OS Repository for Dom0 0.0 B/s | 0 B 00:00
Errors during downloading metadata for repository ‘qubes-dom0-cached’:

• Curl error (37): Couldn’t read a file:// file for file:///var/lib/qubes/updates/repodata/repomd.xml [Couldn’t open file /var/lib/qubes/updates/repodata/repomd.xml]
    Error: Failed to download metadata for repo ‘qubes-dom0-cached’: Cannot download repomd.xml: Cannot download repodata/repomd.xml: All mirrors were tried
    Ignoring repositories: qubes-dom0-cached
    Error: No matching Packages to list

That’s your answer then. It might’ve been removed and reinstalled using a different method.

It was upgraded from 34 to 35.

There you go, that’s why it doesn’t show as installed. Because the original package was qubes-template-fedora-34.

Please select the answer so the thread will be marked as resolved.

Still kinda confusing, as i run different fedora templates, one is untouched and does the sys-net, sys-fw, sys-usb AppVMs and then i either run in template updates for the others and during last fedora upgraded i noticed that my extra packages were missing which made the whole point of upgrading in template pointless and more time consuming.

Basically if you install a template in dom0, say fedora-34, the package name will be qubes-template-fedora-34. If you perform an in-place upgrade from within the template, the template itself will upgrade to fedora-35 but the package in dom0 will still have the same name, because the actions you perform will be done inside the template.

If you want the package name to be updated as well, you may have to run either sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-35 or qvm-template install fedora-35 : the whole template will be downloaded and installed from source, with the default packages only.

Makes sense?

It does though as i said i believe that i did that for the main AppVMs and still it is not shown listed as installed. It is faster to download the template then do an in-template-upgrade.

Unfortunately i cannot recollect 100% what exactly i did there back then on this particular machine.

Thanks for the info.

dnf history will tell you if you installed it with dnf install.

thanks but thats pretty cryptic, i always installed templates with sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-XX

Made the updates via Qube manager, right mouse click on new template, update.
All good.
qvm-teplate list
shows f-36 as installed this time.

$ sudo dnf info qubes-template-fedora-36
Qubes OS Repository for Dom0
Errors during downloading metadata for repository ‘qubes-dom0-cached’:

Curl error (37): Couldn’t read a file:// file for file:///var/lib/qubes/updates/repodata/repomd.xml [Couldn’t open file /var/lib/qubes/updates/repodata/repomd.xml]
    Error: Failed to download metadata for repo ‘qubes-dom0-cached’: Cannot download repomd.xml: Cannot download repodata/repomd.xml: All mirrors were tried
    Ignoring repositories: qubes-dom0-cached
    Error: No matching Packages to list

So it seems that this error does show up even wit correct update command.