Not opening Qubes Update Gui

Hello, after updating the debian templates and the whonix template, the Qubes Update graphical interface not opening.
When running in dom0 from the command line, the error:

[dom0 ~]$ qubes-update-gui 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/updater.py", line 58, in do_activate
    self.perform_setup()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/updater.py", line 155, in perform_setup
    self.intro_page.populate_vm_list(self.qapp, self.settings)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/intro_page.py", line 106, in populate_vm_list
    self.refresh_update_list(settings.update_if_stale)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/intro_page.py", line 122, in refresh_update_list
    in output.decode().split("\n", maxsplit=1)[0]
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IndexError: list index out of range
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/updater.py", line 58, in do_activate
    self.perform_setup()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/updater.py", line 155, in perform_setup
    self.intro_page.populate_vm_list(self.qapp, self.settings)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/intro_page.py", line 106, in populate_vm_list
    self.refresh_update_list(settings.update_if_stale)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/intro_page.py", line 122, in refresh_update_list
    in output.decode().split("\n", maxsplit=1)[0]
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IndexError: list index out of range

Please tell me how to reinstall qubes-update-gui ?
Or are there other options to fix this problem ?

1 Like

I explained the problem to another user here:

You could check the installed qubes-desktop-linux-manager version in dom0 as follow:

dnf info qubes-desktop-linux-manager

Once it is upgraded to 4.2.23, the problem should go away. It is most likely you have a lower version at the time.

Thank you for your reply.
My version 4.2.20.
Do I understand correctly that version 4.2.23 is only available in the current-testing repository and I need to wait until version 4.2.23 becomes available in the current repository?

To install version 4.2.23 from the current repository, I need to periodically check for updates in dom0 : qubes-dom0-update ?

1 Like

YES

The system will do background refresh of update availability checks automatically. You do not need to periodically check for it manually. But you can if you wish. Please also note that if system finds available updates for dom0 or any other template via background checks, you will see the update availability notifier and the Updater GUI will not crash.