No sound in Fedora 32 qubes

Hello there,

some time ago, I installed the Fedora 32 TemplateVM via sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-32 as stated in the documentation.
Since then I used it mainly for NetVMs. Recently I tried to use it for different purposes (e.g. as a DVM for disposable qubes) and recognized that I am not able to play sound whatsoever in any Fedora-based qube.

When running pavucontrol in dom0 I only get a list of all running, Debian-based qubes on the tab Playback for which the sound works fine.

Can anyone think of a reason or even a solution for this? Did you have similar issues with Fedora-based qubes?

Thank you and have a great day!

could it be something related to this:

1 Like

Same here for me and what I understand - itā€™s a worldwide issue. This means, it shouldnā€™t work for anyone (with 4.0.3 or 4.0.4) and Fedora-32 templates/VMs at the time.
Am I correct?

There isnā€™t any solution at the time and I hope it will be fixed within the next coming updatesā€¦
For the time being, Iā€™m doing all my ā€œsound-stuffā€ with the Debian-10 template/VMs.

Cheers

1 Like

Thank you for pointing me to that post. I donā€™t think that my issue is related, since it seems to be a problem for all qubes (from what I get, reading the post) - maybe even on kernel level - and on the other hand, sound on my Debian templates works fine.
Nevertheless, I donā€™t know for sure, but a clean reinstall (what fixed the problem in the other post) is not possible atm.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!
Since it seems to be a general issue and not just bad configuration on my side, Iā€™ll open a bug ticket.
Iā€™ll keep you posted!

1 Like
1 Like

Iā€™m not having sound problems with any of my qubes based on Fedora 32. Running QubesOS 4.0.3, 5.4.88-1 kernel.

1 Like

Working fine for me - 4.0.3, 5.4.91-1

1 Like

Ahh, was waiting for you (both) telling us thatā€¦ :slight_smile:
Question now is: What exactly is wrong with the Fedora-32 templates of several Qubes users.

From what I found out:

• it only happens to Qubes w/Fedora-32 template
  • you easily can find out, when none of those F32 qubes appear in the Audio mixer list
  • if I change the template to Debian-10, I immediately see the qube in the Audio mixer and sound is there

Any suggestions, which commands I should try, giving you more details and infos?

Cheers & Regards
Steffen

1 Like

You could look at Audio Virtualization for ideas.

If you want any command run in a working Fedora 32 VM, let me know. I donā€™t know much about pulseaudio - I might have to go and read this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Following up on my own postā€¦

Maybe try running the following command: pacmd list-sinks

I get the following in a working Fedora-32 based VM:

1 sink(s) available.
  * index: 0
	name: <vchan_output>
	driver: <module-vchan-sink.c>
	flags: DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY 
	state: RUNNING
	suspend cause: (none)
	priority: 9000
	volume: front-left: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB,   front-right: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
	        balance 0.00
	base volume: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
	volume steps: 65537
	muted: no
	current latency: 0.00 ms
	max request: 8 KiB
	max rewind: 0 KiB
	monitor source: 0
	sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
	channel map: front-left,front-right
	             Stereo
	used by: 4
	linked by: 4
	fixed latency: 46.44 ms
	card: 0 <Qubes_vchan>
	module: 4
	properties:
		device.string = "vchan_output"
		device.description = "Qubes VCHAN sink"
		device.class = "sound"
		device.icon_name = "audio-card"
	ports:
		qubes-vchan-io-output: Qubes vchan Output (priority 0, latency offset 0 usec, available: yes)
			properties:

active port: <qubes-vchan-io-output>
1 Like

Is pulseaudio-qubes installed in your template? To find out, you can run rpm -qa | grep pulseaudio-qubes in any VM based on it.

If it is, you can try to reinstall the fedora template to see if the problem occurs for a fresh template. Then you can update it, and see if it breaks then.

2 Likes

Okay, (replying to the last post) with the rpm command I got nothing back, but a dnf install told me pulseaudio is already installedā€¦

[user@fedora-32 ~]$ rpm -qa | grep pulseaudio-qubes
[user@fedora-32 ~]$ sudo dnf install pulseaudio
Fedora Modular 32 - x86_64                                                                                                                                       13 kB/s |  14 kB     00:01    
Fedora Modular 32 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                                                                            7.8 kB/s |  11 kB     00:01    
Fedora Modular 32 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                                                                             49 kB/s | 321 kB     00:06    
Fedora 32 - x86_64 - Test Updates                                                                                                                               9.7 kB/s |  13 kB     00:01    
Fedora 32 - x86_64 - Test Updates                                                                                                                               197 kB/s | 1.7 MB     00:08    
Fedora 32 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                                                                                     10 kB/s |  11 kB     00:01    
Fedora 32 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                                                                                    296 kB/s | 3.4 MB     00:11    
Qubes OS Repository for VM (updates)                                                                                                                            4.5 kB/s | 3.8 kB     00:00    
TeamViewer - x86_64                                                                                                                                             341  B/s | 867  B     00:02    
Package pulseaudio-14.0-1.fc32.x86_64 is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!
[user@fedora-32 ~]$

and a ā€˜pacmd list-sinksā€™ brings up this:

[user@fedora-32 ~]$ pacmd list-sinks
No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
1 Like

@Rooftop, @427F11FD0FAA4B080123 I get the exact same results as @TheGardner when running the commands.

@TheGardener Over at GitHub, donob4n gave me the solution:
Try to run sudo dnf install pulseaudio-qubes in your Fedora template(s). This seems to be some kind of interface necessary for pulseaudio to work within qubes.
I donā€™t get why itā€™s not already within our Fedora templates, but Iā€™m glad itā€™s solved.
Do you know, when you installed your Fedora 32 templates by any chance?
Maybe there was a time when the pulseaudio-qubes package was missing in the reposā€¦

1 Like

YAY!
Working again. That was simple thenā€¦
Thanks much for your help, guys! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad itā€™s solved :slight_smile: can you mark post that solved the issue as the ā€œsolutionā€.

You do this by clicking the at the bottom of the post and then ā€œSolutionā€. This way when people see your post, they can be taken right to the solution

1 Like

Guess the latter is for KnightWhoSaysNi cause I canā€™t do that with his post with my credentials

2 Likes

I think I installed the Fedora-32 template around Jan 20, 2021.

1 Like

@TheGardner I did - it just didnā€™t seem right to mark my own answer as solution ^^

@Rooftop Thatā€™s interesting - As I stated over at GitHub, I guess I installed around November 2020. Certainly possible that they fixed the package in the meantime and TheGardner and me just had bad timing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

From reading other threads, what has happened to a lot of people was that they forcefully updated, which included the removal of a conflicting version of pulseaudio-qubes, when there was a conflict of package versions at some point. This occasionally happens with pulseaudio, when Qubes canā€™t keep up.

Iā€™m not saying that this is what you did. There may be another issue that leads to this as well.

EDIT: Looking back at Sudo dnf update: requires pulseaudio, but none of the providers can be installed , did you perhaps do dnf update --best --allowerasing at some point? That could have been the problem.

2 Likes