No network connection

Just did a fresh install of Qubes OS 4.2 in my new computer but i don’t havê access to the internet. I already tried all topics related to that problemas but none of them solved my problem.

1 Like

Can you describe more what network connectivity issue you are dealing with and is it Ethernet or WiFi

I likely can’t help but your question is way too vague you are going to need to be at least somewhat more specific

Anyway, mine is a fresh install and I made a new user and restricted it then unrestricted it. Then it lost the red network icon on the top bar, but get this; after rebooting 2 times in a row and re-logging in it somehow came back. Not sure why it disappeared or re-appeared but it is back now thankfully as I am nearing this step of soon adding it to a LAN (Local Area Network).

Im using ethernet controller, and with dmesg i saw that the sys-net detected without any problems. Tell me what commands do you need me to put there and i will send a image of the logs.

1 Like

Please someone can help me?

Do you have your network controller attached to sys-net? Check the qube settings in the Devices tab.

Can you share the name of the controller you are using? using lspci in sys-net or checking the Device tab should give you this.

Yes, is attached.
The device name listed here is: 04:00.0 Ethernet Controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
My motherboard is B550M ASUS and CPU is Ryzen 7 5800X.

I saw the device name from qubes settings > devices. When i tried lspci command it just says “command not found.”

Are you using Debian for sys-net? Fedora should have it by default, so I think you are. Can you switch sys-net to a Fedora based template and see if you can get network access?
If that doesn’t work, can you tell what your current kernel is with uname -r?

Yes im using Debian template for sys-net. Before asking for help here i already tried to change the template to fedora but that didn’t solved my problem.

After running uname -r, i received this input: 6.1.62-1.qubes.fc37.x86_64

Have you tried using the kernel-latest packages?
Since you don’t have connectivity, you can reinstall Qubes but with the kernel-latest option in grub, or connect a phone and use tethering to install the packages.
If you decide to install, you will need to install both in dom0:

sudo qubes-dom0-update kernel-latest kernel-latest-qubes-vm
1 Like

Didn’t worked. I will install another OS to ser if this is a hardware issue. This is my first time using this machine and my first OS here is the Qubes OS, so im not sure if this is a Qubes issue. Will try here and comeback to say.

1 Like

Its Qubes issue. I installed Debian, hardenesbsd and windows and the network worked fine in all of them. Its so bad cuz i really like Qubes and used to have it as daily-driver in another desktops. If someone havê others solutions, i would be very grateful for the help.

1 Like

You said that you checked dmesg in sys-net and that you could see your network controller, but are you sure that you didn’t see any driver-related errors?
If you can share the full log related to sys-net, it may help in finding the root problem:

sudo journalctl -b > boot.log

Also, can you check with lspci -vvv if you can see a driver associated with your network controller, and if so, which one it uses?

When i try using USB tethering my Android de vice doesnt appear in de vice manager, so i can’t share the full logs of boot.log

About lspci -vvv, here is what appeared:

This one is better, i forgot to use sudo

Can you open a terminal in the Fedora template and run the following command:

echo "blacklist r8169" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/r8169-blacklist.conf

Then turn off the template and restart sys-net to see if it uses a different driver and if it works (check again with lspci -vvv).

Still without connection. This is what appeared when i ran lspci -vvv:

Remove the file in the template, since it’s not working:

sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/r8169-blacklist.conf

Then turn off both the template and sys-net.
Go in sys-net settings, go to “Advanced” and change the kernel to “provided by qube”. Start sys-net and see if that changes anything.

If that still doesn’t work, there’s obviously something wrong with the way the driver does things. The file (boot.log) I asked for earlier might help find the problem, are you able to get that file on an external media (USB key, internal disk…) so you can upload it here?

Sorry for the delay. I had to buy a new USB stick for that unique purpose. Changing the kernel didn’t worked.

Here is my boot.log file:
boot.log (139.4 KB)

1 Like

I have to relook at this thread

Because I am having funny issues still with the loading and not loading of my network stuff at login too still

Sometimes it loads and sometimes it doesn’t, no matter which user. It sometimes takes me rebooting twice in a row for the red network icon to show again along with the “at boot” Whonix prompt(s)