No Mouse/Keyboard Access At Login Screen

Finally managed to lock myself out of Qubes.

Decided to add a second monitor. I use a KVM switch to switch between my PC and a work laptop. The second monitor is connected directly to the PC for the time being. After connecting the second monitor, I had trouble booting into Qubes at all; probably because I disconnected the power temporarily (always have boot problems after disconnecting/reconnecting). Finally figured out it was because Secure Boot was somehow re-enabled. I can now get to the login screen, but I lose keyboard and mouse access; which I had set dom0 to automatically allow. I have disk encryption enabled and I have no problem using the keyboard there, so I’m assuming dom0 revoked those permissions, but I’m stumped on why.

1 Like

You can try to boot with USB qube disabled to fix your problems in dom0:

Okay, so that got me in. I checked:

/etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.InputMouse

which read

sys-usb dom0 allow
sys-usb dom0 ask,default_target=dom0
$anyvm $anyvm deny

AND

/etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.InputKeyboard

which read

sys-usb dom0 allow, user=root
$anyvm $anyvm deny

I removed the $anyvm $anyvm deny, , user=root, and sys-usb dom0 ask,default_target=dom0 lines as I never added them. This did not help as I still lose keyboard/mouse access at login without the GRUB edit.

One thing I did notice however is that none of the SYS vms autostart once I make it in. Is that due to the GRUB edit?

Repeat the step you run before, and after login run this qubesctl state.sls qvm.usb-keyboard

Didn’t work.

Only changes were that usbcore.authorized_default=0 was added to the end of the line specified in the GRUB edit file and the keyboard/mouse policy files were screwed up again.

(EDIT) IOMMU became disabled. That was the problem. Figured it out by trying to start sys-usb from the terminal. How that happened I don’t know. I just attached a freaking monitor.