"No Dom0 kernel image specified"

Hello, I recently reinstalled Qubes OS to UEFI and I had to use some work arounds in the faq. I commented out mapbs and noexitboot according to UEFI Troubleshooting | Qubes OS. When the installer finished I edited xen.cfg to remove two lines of text to match the example in the faq though I left the global line at the top. My xen.cfg and BOOTX64.cfg should both read:

global
default=5.4.98-1.fc25.qubes.x86_64

[5.4.98-1.fc25.qubes.x86_64]
options=loglvl=all dom0_mem=min:1024M dom0_mem=max:4096M iommu=no-igfx ucode=scan efi=attr=uc

Whenever I try to boot from the installation on my SSD I get the following error below that quickly flashes and forces me back to boot manager.

To get my SSD to read as a bootable device on bios I followed Boot device not recognized after installing

Hi @Fire,

I understand you removed the kernel= and ramdisk= lines in the two *.cfg, isn’t it?

Theses two lines are required, the kernel= line specify the kernel filename and the root filesystem partition, so it’s essential.

Your error message say “No Dom0 kernel image specified”, which matches with the kernel= removed line.

I suggest you read again the UEFI Troubleshooting documentation.

EDIT: I guess the .cfg will have the wrong UUID when copied from the usb .cfg. I will be reinstalling it on the ssd tomorrow to have the correct .cfg… this is my first time trying linux!

I changed both cfgs to:

[global]
default=5.4.98-1.fc25.qubes.x86_64

[5.4.98-1.fc25.qubes.x86_64]
options=loglvl=all dom0_mem=min:1024M dom0_mem=max:4096M iommu=no-igfx ucode=scan smt=off
kernel=vmlinuz-5.4.98-1.fc25.qubes.x86_64 root=/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root rd.luks.uuid=luks-697001fb-1d82-417e-b9ba-bfaefa8e09b0 rd.lvm.lv=qubes_dom0/root rd.lvm.lv=qubes_dom0/swap i915.alpha_support=1 rhgb quiet
ramdisk=initramfs-5.4.98-1.fc25.qubes.x86_64.img

These were the default values of xen.cfg when I reinstalled Qubes on a different usb. I can boot into Qubes now but it will say failed to start load kernel modules then give “OK” for a bunch of lines then fail soon enough. I know that the FAQ says to remove noexitboot and mapbs lines but I don’t see any? What should I change with the cfg?

I reinstalled it on my ssd, and I didn’t have to change anything in my xen.cfg in tty2 after install as I didn’t have any lines mentioning noexitboot or mapbs. I used the faq to make my ssd a recognizable bootable device and it is currently finishing configuration. Thank you for helping!

2 Likes