No audio on qubes 4.1 kernel-latest 5.17.7

Hi there,
Apologies for not able to provide additional information. I tried the basic troubleshooting steps to get the audio to work but it isn’t working.

I have tried with fedora-35 & debian-11 Appvm. Both are playing sound but i can’t hear on my headphones.
The playback bar moves while i’m playing sound in Appvm. I don’t have sys-audio & sys-usb qubes didn’t create while default installation.

I use qubes as my daily driver and having no sound is really uncomfortable.

Kindly guide me to right directions.
Any help is highly appreciated as i can’t use qubes properly without sound.

Thank you so much.

Check if you’re using the correct sound output device in pulseaudio:
Q → System Tools → PulseAudio Volume Control → Output Devices tab

If you have USB headphones or USB audio card then you’ll have to create sys-usb and sys-audio.

Seems related to Kernel 5.17.4 on R4.0 Thinkpad W520 - no audio (5.16.18-2 works) · Issue #7465 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub
It’s a common problem for some users since the 5.17 kernel branch. Marmarek just created the 5.15 kernel branch for Qubes to support more hardware, try to download that and boot on it to see if your audio works again.

Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller Digital Stereo
Port : Digital Output (S/PDIF)

when i plug my headphones into motherboard it changes to

Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller Digital Stereo
Port: Line out (plugged in)
Port: headphones (unplugged)

I can see the sound bar moving when playing sounds on Appvm but no sound in headphones.

I just tried with 5.10 kernel still no audio.

Did you try the 5.15 branch too?

If the following don’t work, try to create a file in /etc/modprobe.d/50-alsa.conf with this inside:

options snd_hda_intel enable=1 index=0 power_save=0

Then reboot.

If it doesn’t work, replace the content in the file with this:

options snd-intel-dspcfg dsp_driver=1

Those depends on your setup, since I don’t know it I gave you everything I have on my mind.