Newbie paranoia and questions

Hi, sorry, new to Qubes and computers. Looking to clear up some of my paranoia.

I’ve had some odd occurrences.
Updated fedora in the qubes updater and received numerous warnings about runaways forks, is
this something to be worried about?

My sdwdate originally didn’t run for my individual vm qubes. Reinstalling seemed to have fixed this though.

and the qubes updater appears every time my machine boots into qubes, even though there are no updates. this one is probably dumb but it didn’t happen until after that fedora update so it kind of weirded me out.

thanks for any help!

Hi and welcome to the world of practical paranoia and reasonable security.

sorry, new to Qubes and computers

nobody here wasn’t new to this at some point.

Updated fedora in the qubes updater and received numerous warnings about runaways forks, is this something to be worried about?

There is no way for us to help you unless you give us ALL of the information. Usually you will see error messages and error logs. copy paste those error messages or send us screenshots of those if they are shown in a graphical way (not in the command line).

So a) i don’t know what you’re talking about and b) need more info on that :wink:

and the qubes updater appears every time my machine boots into qubes, even though there are no updates. this one is probably dumb but it didn’t happen until after that fedora update so it kind of weirded me out.

you mean the qubes update gui described here How to update | Qubes OS yes?

To my knowledge that automatically starts when you boot qubes (but I don’t use the default xfce4 so not sure on this one).

As a rule of thumb: if you are not a high risk journalist or a whistleblower, its probably fine and doesn’t mean your machine is compromised.
If you are of interest to someone with a very large amount of money (government, some drug lord in SA) and they manage to install spyware on your devices, it is rather unlikely that you will “see that” because your computer “behaves weird”. Flickering screens after “getting hacked” are more of a TV thing.

3 Likes

Really appreciate it

1 Like