New install wifi adapter driver problem

Ok I will explain to help others. Qubes seems not to like usb Wi-Fi adapters, so I set up an Ethernet connection.

1 Like

@Cad, that’s awesome that you were able to get at least some kind of internet connection.

Just out of curiosity, does your sys-usb Devices tab look like this (i.e. USB controllers passed through from dom0 into a Qube)?:

I’m sorry for bringing it up again, but if it doesn’t, then this is why it wasn’t working before :slight_smile:

It looks similar. I only have 3 controllers though. I’ve found that Qubes seems to periodically drop usb devices. It loses my printer and my Bluetooth dongle too. I guess someone coded that in to stop usb attacks but it’s really a pain in the neck.

That sounds really weird, and definitely in the realm of a bug.

The printer? As in, a cable printer, with no wireless communication between your machine and the printer…?

Ok, that one is extremely out-of-place… :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

No, there wouldn’t be anything in a USB qube that does anything like that. usbguard is in dom0 though, but if your USB controllers are in dom0 instead of sys-usb, then you wouldn’t even be able to pass the devices through in the first place, so my guess is that it’s not that…

My hunch would say that the USB devices might have a sleep/suspend function that Qubes OS is not acknowledging, and then when it comes to actually using them, they are not “woken up” first, resulting in the sys-usb kernel assuming they’ve been removed.

Well, something along those lines, anyway…

The output of dmesg in sys-usb would probably show was was happening when your devices “disappear”…

In any case, it’s not great for you not being able to use your machine the way you’ve been accustomed to.

I’ll bet. That sounds awful.

Is there any chance you’d be interested in filing a bug report?

One of us will happily file one on your behalf if we can get some more info about your hardware, because you shouldn’t have to put up with this…

I’m pretty sure there have been quite a few users who have experienced similar things, it’s just that you’re one of the few who decided to actually say something about it (which deserves a lot of respect).

So a bug report would definitely go a long way in getting this fixed :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll look into it when I have time. Thank you for the help.

Is it possible, @alzer89 that his experience is related to the frequent complaints about webcameras & sys-usb? That increasing the RAM (the minimum the VM expects starting up) to a value which some have suggested is abnormally high (like 1GB) might alleviate? Maybe @Cad, if you wanted to test that theory out you could check the situations with those usb devices after padding any sys-usb VM with a small increment of memory (limiting it to a reasonable amount for testing of say 1GB)?

I went ahead and reinstalled Fedora 36 (the entire operating system, not just the fedora vm on cubes) so I could get through the fall semester without messing with Qubes everyday trying to get it to work. I will probably try to reinstall over the holiday between semesters to see if I can get Qubes to work then. Ill get back to you guys in a few months.

1 Like

Depending on what system resources the device firmware asks for, that’s definitely a possibility.

It’s always worth a try. Just as putting swiotlb=8192 or a higher value into the sys-usb kernelopts which seems to be what AX201 Wifi 6 modules need to work (for some reason)…

Either way, it’s incredibly peculiar that devices just “disappear”…