New install /boot/efi/EFI emtpy

After installing Qubes R4.1.0 on a new disk, the new disk is not recognized as bootable by my system’s BIOS.

The troubleshooting guide gives specific instructions, but the files being referenced don’t exist.

The only thing in /boot is initramfs-*.img.

Is the documentation out of date for 4.1 or is this a known issue?

Perhaps these could help:

Mounting the installation media on another system and running find . | grep xen\.efi returns nothing, so the docs aren’t in alignment with 4.1.

are you using internal / external disk ?

if using internal, have you try recreate uefi entry ?

if external, try moving qubes folder (on efi partition) to boot folder (on efi partition)

This sounds like it would resolve the issue. I’m not very familiar with boot systems, though. Is there any documentation on what exactly I’m looking for and where I should put it?

The UEFI troubleshooting docs don’t align with what I’m seeing on the filesystem when I examine the system using recovery mode.

I’m also not sure what you mean by “internal”. The QubesOS installation I’m having trouble with is on an SSD connected via SATA, freshly installed from a USB that I flashed using dd.

Internal mean, you are connected to your sata port from the motherboard, not usb / pcie.

when you boot from system recovery, and want to change something in the EFI partition, which mentioned in the UEFI troubleshooting, you should mount your /boot and /boot/efi partition first, as example :

$ mount /dev/xxx2 /mnt 
$ mount /dev/xxx1 /mnt/efi 

before mounting device, you should examine which drive and partition that hold /boot and /efi partition first by running lsblk, /dev/xxx2 could be /dev/sda2 or /dev/sdb2 or /dev/nvme0n1p2, just make sure sda / sdb / nvme0n1 is the right drive.

maybe try run efibootmgr -v first, have you found qubes os uefi entry there ?

Using a R4.1 USB in recovery mode, I see two block devices: my SSD and the installation media. The installation media is already mounted at /run/install/repo.

When I mount the SSD to /mnt, I see that /mnt/efi is empty.

Under /run/install/repo/EFI/BOOT, I see BOOTX64.EFI, grub config and a directory called fonts.

Running efibootmgr -v lists the SSD by its device name but I don’t see anything for Qubes.

If you can take a pict, it could be helpful since you still ‘misunderstanding’.
a pict of :
efibootmgr -v and lsblk

ok so there’s no qubes entry there. try this :
efibootmgr -v -c -u -L "Qubes OS" -l /EFI/qubes/grubx64.efi -d /dev/sda -p 1
then reboot, see if it’s work.

After running that command and a reboot, the recovery media still boots and efibootmgr -v lists the same thing as it did before. Is it that the motherboard is overwriting these changes on reboot?