NetworkManager (Applet) doesn't use previously saved connections

Obviously I’m missing something.

After disconnecting Wi-Fi network (external 5 GHz USB adapter Realtek RTL88x2bu still connected to sys-netVM Fedora, but it’s the same if I change to internal adapter Intel 7256) I always have to edit/set-up a completely new connection. This only takes 1 minute, but, of course, it’s annoying.

Why NetworkManager (Applet) doesn’t use the existing, previously working connection (which is still present/saved in ›Network Connections‹)?

Thanks!

We don’t know anything about your sys-net in order to help you better. Is it disposable? Based on fedora… which? Where do you create connection, etc…
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

If you encounter variances in your networking (this applies to a lot more than Qubes BTW) you possibly could benefit from going to your network manager & limiting the device for your WiFi connection (the one you stated was present still - so that you can simplify this to one data point that works) to the MAC of the device without the device name (for example if you get a fresh connection that states wls7 plus MAC & the older no longer working connection is stating wls6 plus MAC, just reduce to only the network device’s MAC without the device name). This is a guess, but it may help your case if correct.

Hey, kysstfafm,

thanks a lot for trying to help me out.

Unfortunately, your — smart — proposal didn’t solve the issue.

I also disconnected the internal Intel WiFi module from sys-net — didn’t change anything, as expected.

I suppose it’s »just«: NetworkManager isn’t able to save or remember the Wi-Fi connection password, no matter if I chose ›only for this user‹ or ›for all users‹ (there’s only one user, me, ›user‹).

Detailed set-up

• Qubes 4.1, templates Debian-11 and Fedora-34, dom0 Fedora-32; everything always updated.
  • sys-netVM: template Fedora-34, not disposable, not minimal.
  • Connection via NetworkManager Applet in panel.
  • I’m using sys-usbVM and connecting the USB antenna to sys-netVM after it has started.
  • Mode: Client; Band: 5 GHz; Channel: 5520 MHz; BSSID specified: yes; Device MAC specified (without device name): yes; Wi-Fi Security: WPA&WPA2 Personal, Password: ›store the password only for this user‹; IPv4 Settings: Automatic (DHCP) addresses only; IPv6 Settings: Ignore.

This set-up works perfectly, it’s »just« … [see above].

Thanks again.

I have read that some routers don’t like TKIP&AES encryption mode, but just AES, so maybe you should try that and reboot router and Qubes and then try from the scratch.
Also, I would try fedora-35 template.
Also, try to use sys-usb as netVM directly (check if it provides network in Settings)

1 Like

Small point of order - did you test my solution on both or only on the USB device (your primary area of interest I understand)? The USB device could add a wrinkle so please also make certain that you tested the non-USB as that could help us maybe narrow things down a bit.

Thanks for your smart hint(s).

Meanwhile, I tested you MAC-only setting on the (slow) internal Intel device 7256 as well. Same disappointing result. (And yes, the USB device is my primary area of interest because it’s blazingly fast ;))

But see my recent answer to ›enmus‹.

My router, Turris Omnia, likes WPA&WPA2 personal encryption mode — if I read Turris’ information about »WPA2 preshared key«, which is, among others, used there, correctly.

So I tried your next step, installing the fedora-35 template (in-place upgrade), and — success! The USB device/antenna connects automatically within 3 seconds, using the saved connection setting.

[Everything now based on fedora-35 works better and faster now, but that’s another topic …]

Thanks a lot!

1 Like