NAS vs USB drive r/w speeds?

I have boat loads of data to move around. I’ve been piping it from external drives thru sys-usb.
So far, no matter the speed of the drive, the best I can get thru that pipe is 198 MB/s.

I’m hoping a NAS device might be faster.

NAS users, what kind of r/w benchmarks are you getting compared to the device’s potential?

I get around 110 MB/s from my NAS, but I only got 1 gbps networking.

You need to have 2.5 gbps or better if you want more than 200 MB/s.

2 Likes

What’s the r/w specs on the NAS?
Are you finding faster r/w connecting to another os?

8 bay synology, 6xHHD with 2xSSD rw cache

I have not noticed any difference between qubes and other os, 125 MB/s is the max you can get with 1 gbps.

1 Like

“Up to 113,458 4K random read IOPS and 2312 MB/s sequential write
speeds1 for demanding workloads”

1/20 the potential because of the networking constraint.

Not doable for this application. Okay, short of internal HDs, can you see anyway to approach 2K MB/s r/w speeds while running Qubes?

I don’t know if that is possible, but I doubt it.

Maybe the LUKS encryption becomes the bottleneck if you are looking for that kind of speed.

I don’t have numbers for you but I do have a setup you might want to look into.

I had an older Synology NAS HDD array that was just not performing, so I invested in a newer replacement (DS1522+) which I configured as a 5 bay SSD array with 32Gb of RAM cache. The speed difference is like day and night but is still bound to the speed of the local network, which is in my case is even through WiFi until I get my new networking equipment in place. Even still it absolutely blows the pants of my old NAS system.

So my advise is go with SSD for the bulk RAID data storage and have a large RAM cache so that the network prefetch mechanism is working hard for you. This large RAM cache will pay off when you are moving large files (e.g. my backups) sequentially but not quite so much if you are in random access mode.

Now I am just just using my old HDD RAID to retain a secondary backup copy of the new machines data using direct transfer on the LAN. This way if an SSD dies and for some reason does not hot-swap and rebuild properly I still have something to fall back to. Belt and suspenders.