I’m generally very happy with QubesOS but for some reason, the mouse and keyboard are freezing regularly.
I did look through the various threads about freezing issues already but couldn’t find something related to my case yet (I hope I didn’t miss anything).
Here is what I know about the freezes so far:
- It usually happens 1-2 times per day on everage
- The screen is not frozen (the clock continues to showing the time)
- That’s why I assume that it cannot be something related to my Nvidia graphics card (not sure if this is the right conclusion)
- The USB mouse is frozen, the USB keyboard is frozen AND the PS2 keyboard is frozen (e.g. also the num pad LED doesn’t change)
- I’m using a USB qube but I assume that the issue is not related to it because PS2 is also affected
- Only way to restore the system is a forced reset through the power button (typical shortcust like Ctrl + Alt + F1/F2/… etc. don’t work)
- I read somewhere that
sudo dmesg -Twmight show some useful debug messages. I tried this but it doesn’t show anything at the time of the freeze (last message was something unrelated several minutes before the freeze)
- After many of those freezes I still do not recognize any pattern (e.g. it doesn’t seem to be related to a specific VM or a specific activity from my side)
- I’m generally running a “default” 4.0.4 system with kernel 5.4.143 (I did read somewhere about instances where a higher kernel had a positive impact but then also instance where the higher kernel caused the problem
- My hardware is rather new:
- Mainboard: AMD B550
- CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
- Graphics Card: Geforce GTX 1060
- RAM: 2*16 GB, 3600 MHz (with overclocking currently disabled)
Any ideas on how to debug and solve this?
As you can imagine, it’s a quite painful problem, so I really hope that someone can help me with it!
Thanks a lot in advance!