Most powerful computer that is guaranteed to work with qubes?

I had the exact question a few weeks ago. I settled on the Tuxedo Infinitybook 14 pro. It does not come cheap but includes a intel 12th gen CPU with 6 performance cores, 8 efficiency cores, up to 64GB of ram and an optional 3050. My first impression is VERY good, as Tuxedo laptops are literally built for linux.

Got my TopTon S600 ($1K for i9/12gen, 64gb, 1Tb). Works like a charm.

2 Likes

However, apparently video performance for 12th gen is slightly worse than 11th gen. How could that be?

It could be that Xen’s dynamically shifting your VM’s vcpus to a E-core. See this thread for optimization of 12/13th gen core processors.

Also, please provide some more information about 11th gen that your are referencing. For example, was it i9-11900K, or i5-1135G7? That does make a difference.

it was i7-1165G7.

Indeed, great machines. These are mostly Clevo based. Quote from an older forum post: “Nearly every new Linux laptop (which isn’t a rebadged Lenovo, Dell or HP) is made by Clevo. System76 (Colorado), ZaReason (California), Station X (UK), Entroware (UK), ThinkPenguin (New Hampshire), Slimbook (Spain), VantPC (Spain) and Tuxedo Computers (Germany) all use Clevo base models. The companies that make their own Linux laptops are Purism (California), PINE64 (China/California), Star Labs (UK) and Dell (US).” NovaCustom is missing from that list. Using Coreboot is a good start. Tuxedo InfinityBook S15 Gen6 has Coreboot (atm might be the only Coreboot laptop from Tuxedo).
Right now high end Linux laptops use up to 96 GB RAM. Thinkpads had already four-five years ago up to 128 GB RAM. But it’s good to see those Linux machines are getting better (ten years ago the landscape looked completely different in this respect).

1 Like