Monitor Compatibility

Hi Qubes Community,
How do I tell if a monitor will work with my Librem Mini.v2 and QubesOS?
I need a LOT of screen space. And I have only been able to get dual monitors working on the Mini (using the DisplayPort and the HDMI port). I need to work with 4.
So I’m thinking to get a very large monitor instead, and replace my old Windows 4 screen setup.
I’m looking at this 43" monitor:

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43un700t-b-4k-uhd-led-monitor

But I don’t know if I’m going to run into trouble or not. Will it work out of the box? Or do I need to configure some config file? Will I need special drivers? (There is no Linux supported drivers on the the LG site.)
I’m pretty much out of my depth with video that’s not plug-and-play.
:frowning:
Thanks for any help .

I think monitor is still a monitor, just plug and play :smiley:

Thanks, I hope so. But I’m nervous and wanted to check before dishing out the cash.
Loving Qubes, btw, still a lot to learn.

How do I tell if a monitor will work with my Librem Mini.v2 and
QubesOS?

Qubes OS should behave like any other Linux in this respect. You want to
check what graphics hardware you have an how many monitors you can drive
at what resolution.

I have only been able to get dual monitors working on the Mini
(using> the DisplayPort and the HDMI port). I need to work with 4.

Well, as far as I can tell you have two ports. How are you planning to
connect 4 monitors to that? Or do you mean 4k?

Intel UHD Graphics 620

1 HDMI 2.0 4K@60Hz
1 DisplayPort 1.2 4K@60Hz

Looks to me like you can have two 4K monitors.

Hi Sven, I can’t connect 4 monitors. The Mini.v2 can connect 2 easily, but 3 or more is a technical challenge beyond my ability. I can plug in a monitor. :slight_smile: , but messing with configs is not on my schedule right now. Time, I just don’t have any.

That’s why I was asking if 1 really large monitor will run ok.
And it turns out it will. I emailed Purism support and got YES for an answer.
I’m ordering the monitor and will be able to work with my old windows system (4 monitors) until I can moth ball it when the new monitor comes in.

Thanks, and I do hope to get good at more of the “configgy” stuff later.

Funny enough I have ordered the exact monitor you are talking about (LG43UN700), recently.

It may take some more time until I have a Qubes machine attached to it, but depending on how you purchasing plans look like, I will report to you, in case it will work/ not work.

Cool. If there’s anything odd to deal with i’ll post here too. Supposed to be about a week for delivery.

1 Like

My LG monitor came in with a cracked screen (someone laid it sideways in the truck I think).
Anyway, the return process has turned into a nightmare (truckers never arriving and 3 hours on hold, wow!) so after a week I ordered this one. It came in yesterday.

Currently I am having issues with slowness since I replaced my smaller monitor.

But I posted that issue separate here:

Thanks for the help folks, and best of luck!

By “I can’t connect 4 monitors” do you mean that you tried to connect 4 displayport monitors in serial to one displayport, and qubes cannot handle more then one displayport monitor per port?

I am interested cause in the future I I’m hoping to connect 6 monitors to a qubes system (not the librem mini v2, a desktop pc which has expansion slots)

Hi ddevz, My hardware has 1 DP and 1 HDMI. So I could easily install 2 monitors. I didn’t try “4 displayport monitors in serial to one displayport”. It may be possible, in fact it may be easy, (I never thought of it) but I didn’t have the time to delve into anything. (I needed a solution I already understood so I could get back to work.)