Minor longstanding annoyances in Qubes

I’ve been using Qubes as my daily driver for more than 2 years now. It’s a big deal that it’s working wonderfully and solidly. It shows that a lot of work has been put into this.

There are some minor longstanding issues that I can’t seem to go away for more than a year now. I am sharing them to bring attention to them in the hope that they would be addressed.

1. The power manager crashing after dimming the screen. If the screen is dimmed to black, and the power manager crashes, I can’t get the screen to turn on.
  2. When launched, LibreOffice in Fedora opens in the smallest surface possible - a tiny square on the top left.
  3. I never got open-in-vm browser.desktop to work as adverstised for websites. I need to choose the AppVM everytime I click on a hyperlink. I couldn’t set a default browser AppVM.
  4. Switching keyboard languages: I still don’t understand fully how that works as it seems to require different steps between Fedora, Debian and Whonix. Or is it that once I enable the layout change in Dom0, that I should restart all VMs?
  5. Ctrl + Shift changes right-to-left and left-to-right text in LibreOffice. So copying to the Qubes Clipboard doubles down as right-to-left or left-to-right direction change.
  6. Qubes does not switch on the laptop screen automatically when I unplug the monitor / external screen.

And one last thing: there’s no automatic background update :slight_smile: This is not an error but a design decision.

Hi @oijawyuh,

I checked with LibreOffice from Debian11, I don’t see this issue. However, you can change the LibreOffice keyboard shortcuts in:
Main Menu → Tools → Customize… → keyboard tab.

See the General Shortcut Keys in LibreOffice documentation.

Thanks.
This is a 4.1 update. I saw in 4.1RC1 that the copy/paste from/to VMs shortcut can be changed. This solves one of the issues I raised.

See also: https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/major-ux-pain-points.

Works fine for me. You can start a new thread and we can try to help you. See also: How do I change my default browser? - Ask Ubuntu.

When I configure it during the install, I never have any problems later. The languages switch fine everywhere.

Looks like a problem with XFCE.

The LibreOffice tiny window matter isn’t a Qubes issue, I’ve had this happen across a few different distros, Ubuntu and Fedora most recently.