Hi, my purpose is to randomize the mac address of my appvm at every boot, before qubes-tunnel logs into my VPN server.
I’ve read the documentation and the guide appears to be designed only for sys-net; the approach only covers a method with NetworkManager.
Right now I have tried this with Debian 10 and Fedora 32 (both including minimal versions).
sudo nano /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link from: MACAddressPolicy=persistent to: MACAddressPolicy=random
Unfortunately, there are three problems.
- eth0 does not start with boot
- If i bring eth0 up with “sudo ifconfig eth0 up” there is no internet access (i.e. Network is unreachable)
- I have not sufficient technical knowledge to:
- verify the mac spoofing is done before any program uses eth0 to transmit data
- design a fail-safe in case the mac spoofing fails.
About the first, I think it could be solved with rc.local but is not pretty.
Regarding the second, maybe its messing something with qubes internal scripts?
On third, maybe somehow use a systemd service that uses “Before=network-pre.target”?
I’d love some pointers and thoughs on the matter.