Looking to switch to a ThinkPad from a Librem14 Suggestions welcome

@Erica.vH
So sorry to hear about this.
Unfortunately these problems can come when you work at(beyond) the edge of what
Qubes supports.
This is why Qubes provides the HCL, to guide user purchases.

That said, the pace of development is quite fast, so it may be that in
short order, the problem you encountered will be resolved.

Can you give some more information here? What is the error?

Can you provide specs for your P15?

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.
1 Like

:frowning_face:
So very sad to read. When tears abate

First thought is maybe try test without added 2x 2T NVMe and or various RAM configs. Sorry have no immediate better ideas.

More info on error during pre-boot check up may also enable assistance. I hope so and repeat unman’s requests.

Hi UnMan and Confused,
Thks for your posts, both.
The spec for the P15 are in my previous post.
I don’t blame Qubes, I blame the laptop !
When installing Qubes, it goes through material check up and then stops with a ctrl-D option at the end. I’ve tried to save the log, but LS gives me no otpion (no disk to save it to)
For now, I’m following this lead 4.1 Installation Trouble On ThinkPad P15, Gen. 2 but the normal bios update is giving me trouble, so I’m trying off-line … if it works
Cheers,

This thread is headed slightly out of primary scope, anyone @off-topic-moderators could help moving it all (the last 3-4 posts) to a thread on its own ? “Setting up Qubes on a P15 gen2 128GB ram 4TB NVMe”

I’ve updated the bios, and gave it another try, but to no avail, it crashes during pre-test
First, it holds for about 3min (first pix), then it flows tons of lines until giving me the D. (ctrl-D option on 2nd pix)

Have you tried without having the drives in raid0 configuration?

1 Like

Hi @Renehoj,
Thks for your input.
As I am currently installing Suse, I see that the RAID is indeed not recognized, the installer only sees two 2TB NVMe as “empty”.
But these 2 NVMe in RAID.0 should not prevent install as I’m targeting the small 512GB NVMe standalone (not part of the RAID)
Suse install = 1
Qubes install = 0

EDIT: correction, SUSE install = 0,8 … error UEFI

I’ve solved this part of the problem.
As all my network is wired, all m ThinkPads are set to Airplane mode.
But as I was poking around, I stumbled on the Airplane mode … for power !
I turned it off, and sure enough, the battery started charging !

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve removed the RAID0, and started the instal with choice “Boot verbose and debug” (or something like that)
Here is where the install hang for 2min
not sure if the lack of EFI variable comes from my USB stick (Via Rufus) or the current disk (Where Win10 and Suse are installed)

I assume you disabled secure boot, and OS optimization.

Is booting with CSM or legacy mode possible with the P15?

Assuming right :slight_smile:
Disabled VMD as well. Actually, pretty much every option in the bios are off.
Tomorrow I will remove RAM and remove NVMe 1 by 1 and keep trying.
I bought this machine only for Qubes, I’m not turning back !

test 1:
Removed the upper slots 2x 32G RAM (Left the bottom ones)
Removed the upper NVMe 512G (Left the bottom ones)
Same thing, checkup failed.

As for MBR BIOS, unless I flash the chip with CoreBoot, there is no option but the UEFI :frowning:

All new Lenovo laptops are shipped with boot guard, isn’t Coreboot impossible on the P15?

Doing the installation is it possible to use alt+ctrl+f2/3/4 to switch to a single user shell?

If you can get access to a shell, maybe there is a log file that tells you which driver fails to load.

1 Like

Test 2:
Thks to Hiren Boot CD, I’ve managed to change one of the 2x 2TB NVMe into MBR, the other stayed GPT
Removed all remaining 32G RAM, reinstalled original 16G RAM
Install failed.

Test 3:
Removed both 2TB NVMe,
So left with all original, 16G RAM and 512G NVMe (GPT)
Install failed.

I’m not sure it is about neither the RAM nor the NVMe … It seems there is some about the UEFI … dracut initqueue hook …
EFI partition unknown; exiting, EFI varia not set by bootloader

don’t know, haven’t tried yet, didn’t even purchased the flasher yet.
alt-ctrl during Qubes install you mean ? let me try that
But so far, haven’t been able to save any log as there is no accessible disk (>LS = empty)

maybe check your installation medium?

Test 4:
All 4x 32G RAM; only 1x 2TB NVMe in slot 1 (Slot 0 and Slot 2 empty)
Installed SUSE successfully.

1 Like

P15 specific tthread moved to Instal QUBES on a brand new P15 gen2 - i7.11850 + 4x 32G RAM + 1x 512G NVMe + 2x 2TB NVMe - #10 by eric.vanh

I had the same problem when trying to install qubes on KCMA-D8 (Your errors look very similar). Just run the first half of the install on a different computer and then move the disk to the computer you actually want to run qubes on. Goes like this:

1. Start qubes install on “Other” computer

2. When prompted to restart after grub install, shutdown computer instead of restarting. (You can let it try to restart, just unplug the computer while it’s cycling the power)

3. Move your fresh “qubes just installed” disk and boot it on the “new” computer

4. Finish up install on “new” computer

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, on these newer Thinkpad laptops like the P53 or P15 it is possible to disable Intel ME in the bios, but it’s not possible to flash coreboot on them.

1 Like