Locked out of qubes os

Within the qubes manager under the appvm sys-usb settings I stupidly clicked the reset PCI button and then under devices I gave sys-usb access to every device to try and fix a usb issue but now once I get past the password it goes to a black screen and just stays there. If anyone has any idea how to fix this I would very much appreciate it. It is a Purism Librium 14 that shipped with qubes os and pure boot. It is running qubes os 4.1. I see all these guides about editing grub but I don’t see anything with the word grub at start up or from within the live cd I created. Not really a linux or qubes is expert by any means. Any help would be much appreciated.

You need to add the qubes.skip_autostart kernel parameter to stop all qubes from autostarting, including sys-usb.

As far as I know it’s not easy to edit the grub entry under pureboot, you have to do it manually by going to the recovery terminal and mounting the /boot partition to apply what you need.

Maybe this can help (check “current workflow”):

4 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for the help. So I followed the article by doing the following

Start recovery shell

typed the following commands that were in the article

init=/bin/bash

mount -o remount, rw /boot

vi /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Problem is the last command seems to open a page to edit but the grub file seems to be completely blank with no text on it at all. Do I just add qubes.skip_autostart and save. I thought it would open a grub file to modify with text already there. Any ideas? Much appreciated.

You don’t need to reconfigure your boot. Just use the link of @DVM . Once qubes has started, delete sys-usb with the qubes manager and réinstall it with sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.sys-usb in a dom0’s console.
You don’t need to reconfigure your grub.

Yep so currently after I enter the password the system just loads to a black screen and stays there so currently cannot login or access the qubes manager.

with this link of @DVM Autostart troubleshooting | Qubes OS , qubes is launching without any Vms (just dom0) .
Just with this method, you should be able to access the login and make the changes. I’m not sure I can help you more than that, sorry :confused:

Much appreciated. I have qubes is running on a device with pure boot so I don’t have grub talked about in that article. It does say

For Qubes OS R4.0 in UEFI mode , there is no GRUB, so manual boot from another operating system is needed.

Maybe I need a live usb for a version of qubes with grub.

Thanks anyway I’ll keep digging