Sorry for the long post.
Been playing with Qubes for a while off and on. But now I’m trying to get it up and configured to try to use it as a daily driver. Also a bit of a newb for than the most basic commands in Linux without a step by step guide. But I wanted to start my conversion with a distribution that truly had my interest and was something I would love to use daily for both security and privacy combined with other solutions I could cook into some vm’s
So the ISO I use for Qubes 4.1 clean install was downloaded probably 3 weeks ago, and everything is up to date, dom0 all templates etc. Qubes 4.1 out of the box has worked perfectly, haven’t found anything that didn’t function.
And after a lot of searching and working out the kinks, sys-gui-gpu is working (mostly).
I have a few issues that I’ve given up on figuring out myself. I’m hoping someone might have run into some of them at least.
I submitted bug reports as I couldn’t find them mentioned anywhere.
Just curious if anyone ran into any of these and resolved them.
I’m putting this one as first on the list because perhaps it’s a sign of the problem causing many of the other issues?
Whenever a vm’s starts or shuts down I see an error notification:
“Failed to execute qubes.WindowUpdater (from somevm-xx to dom0)”
I’m assuming this MAY be a sign of some permissions that may not have been setup properly by the salt script? The only change I made to it was changing dummy-psu-dom0 to dummy-psu-sender on one line toward the beginning of the script.
I also noticed shutdown looks like it only shuts down sys-gui, I have to tap the power button to fully shutdown. And open console on any VM’s either does nothing or crashes Qubes manager. These seem to lead me to permissions again?
My “devices” icon is there but it’s blank, I just see a tiny empty bubble when I click on it.
sys-usb is starting normally and dom0 see’s my devices, normally I would see my built in mic and webcam, however sys-gui see’s nothing. I tried some external devices:
- USB storage devices nothing
- USB wireless keyboard/mouse receiver was the only sign of life I’ve seen I got a message: “Denied qubes.InputKeyboard from sys-usb to dom0”
So sys-usb is talking to sys-gui-gpu on some some level.
- The application or start menu if you will missing all my VM’s I figured out digging around and refreshed the applications on my templates. However some of the templates report missing applications after refreshing which I didn’t find and answer to anywhere, some general information that didn’t help but nothing Qubes specific.
- whonix-ws-16 missing: Thunar.desktop
- whonix-gw-16 missing 3: Thunar.desktop, gateway-firewall30default.desktop, gateway-firewall50user.desktop
- fedora-34-xfce missing: org.mageia.dnfdragora.desktop
- fedora-34 missing: gpk-update-viewer.desktop
- An annoying but not critical issue is the Power manager icon and power notifications are dead in the sys-gui-gpu interface, work fine in dom0.
If I enable and disable the power manager icon in power manager settings I see the icons flash as if something is being added but it never shows up. I checked panel settings on all items and don’t see everything there looks fine
Thanks everyone in advance for any help.