Kde application menu not saving

Hi guys, hopefully someone can help. I can’t seem to save changes to the application menu when I make edits to simplify the menu by adding sub menus as per unman’s instructions on his GitHub. It’s not a game changer but really bugging me.

Thanks
H

can you please link to unmans github instructions. I’d be interested to take a look at this issue. KDE isn’t exactly straightforward to run on qubes at this point, although I seem to be able to get it all up and running each install. But i’d really like to see what @unman has posted on the issue as multi level menus would be excellent. Do you use the application launcher or application menu? I had to (unwillingly) switch to menu as the list of simply became unmanagable and inaccessable after the ungrade that included settings for dispVMs were added.

Sure

I use the application menu but have tried both as well. I follow the instructions click save and nothing saves even after reboot. I ah ent been able to find any info on the kde forums either

Thanks
H

1 Like

You are right, I have tried to do that before, because i much prefer the application menu but it seems to take no notice what so ever of anything done in kmenuedit! I believe there are two config files for the application menu. I’m going to try and hunt them down and see if its possible like this, but why doesn’t kmenuedit do…well…anything (except allow me to add my own applications to the system menu)

I’ve not had any success with the multilevel menus and am still having to use the launcher instead of the application menu. it would be great if @unman could shed some light on how this is done. I’d love to be able to put all my templateVM’s in one menu folder, all my disp’s in another, and all my proxies in another which would make the application menu actually useable for me.

*Any luck with this Application Editor ? *
I really would use that Grouping option.
With QOS 4.2 workflow is even better.

I did edit a file in Dom0 by experimenting and now everything works fine
Let me know, if works for you as well !.

There is small chages like

if [ “$XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP” = “KDE” ] || [ "$XDG

Have one space in betwen to much.

and

XDG_MENU_PREFIX="qubes-"
if
export XDG_MENU_PREFIX

Have “fi” istede “if”

This how it’s loks in my /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/55xfce-qubes.sh

#!/usr/bin/sh

# Use Qubes provided menu instead of default XFCE one
if [ "$XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP" = "KDE" ] || [ "$XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP" = "plasma" ];
then
XDG_MENU_PREFIX="kf5-"
else
XDG_MENU_PREFIX="qubes-"
if
export XDG_MENU_PREFIX

There is a megathread on using KDE in Qubes which covers all sorts of
things: it’s “KDE - changing the way you use Qubes”. This was dealt with there.

Edit the file: /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/55xfce-qubes.sh, so that it
looks like this:

#!/usr/bin/sh

# Use Qubes provided menu instead of default XFCE one
if [ "$XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP" = "KDE" ]; then
  XDG_MENU_PREFIX="kf5-"
else
  XDG_MENU_PREFIX="qubes-"
fi

export XDG_MENU_PREFIX

Thank you, I will post further KDE related topics.