Kcma-d8 sys-usb working 50% of the time

bios: | 3309 in https://forum.qubes-os.org/uploads/short-url/zoBa1OTH57kJekfXmFSfJhKKq08.yml from Asus KGPE-D16 (6386SE) make think stock firmware. Sorry for confusion.

1 Like

Added irqpoll to sys-usb template. EDIT: nope these are normal logs.

log8.log → usb mouse works
log9.log → usb mouse not working, but works when moved to an external usb hub connected to different usb port.

log8.log (119.9 KB)
log9.log (122.1 KB)

Here are the logs with irqpoll added.

log11.log → usb mouse works
log12.log → usb mouse not working, but works when moved to an external usb hub connected to different usb port.

log11.log (125 KB)
log12.log (120.7 KB)

Command line: root=/dev/mapper/dmroot ro nomodeset console=hvc0 rd_NO_PLYMOUTH rd.plymouth.enable=0 plymouth.enable=0 xen_scrub_pages=0

looks like it’s not seeing the irqpoll argument.

KCMA-D8 protip: buy an external usb hub and use that, it seems to work everytime.

1 Like

Confused is correct. That Qubes 4.0 HCL report was running stock firmware.

Did you find fix?

To my knowledge, this is the best resource one can follow for hardware/stock firmware/libreboot/coreboot documented issues.

Qubes usb controller passthrough not related though:
https://wiki.vikings.net/KCMA-D8

The external usb hub is still working great. I sometimes get two prompts to attach my mouse to dom0. If two prompts come up, it’s the second one that is real.

Have you tried upgrading to Qubes 4.2 yet? Your descriptions above sound just like my experience with the D16. However, since installing 4.2 my onboard USB never works for my mouse (I have to boot with it in the onboard USB and switch to a PCI USB card after boot to use my mouse). And any USB connections for powered devices cannot be shared outside of sys-usb.

I have more details here: USB device and PCI Sound card issues persistent with 4.2-rc4

I will give it a shot since 4.2 dropped recently.

USB on KCMA-D8 with Qubes 4.2 works great, I don’t have to use the USB hub anymore! Awesome.
I only tested my mouse and restarted the PC three times to make sure it wasn’t a fluke. Worked every time. I’m using sys-usb like I always have.

That’s great. I’ve actually found Qubes 4.2 to work better overall on the D16 now too. All USB devices I’ve tried work now. I still have the issue of having to keep my trackpad unplugged until after sys-usb boots, but then I can plug it in and it works, so minor issue.

1 Like