Kali template available

I just upgraded to 4.1. I can’t find the kali template. When i run
sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-template-community-testing qubes-template-kali

I receive
qvm-template error Template kali not found

I tried installing kali template as well using: sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-template-community-testing qubes-template-kali

received the same error. Qubes 4.1

It’s qubes-templates-community-testing with an s - lots of templates.

@unman Thank for the correction, even when i write templates, i get:

error: Template ‘kali’ not found

@unman
just wondering what i might be missing.

“sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing qubes-template-kali
Redirecting to ‘qvm-template install --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing kali’
usage: qvm-template [–verbose] [–quiet] [–help] [–repo-files REPO_FILES]
[–keyring KEYRING] [–updatevm UPDATEVM] [–enablerepo REPOID]
[–disablerepo REPOID] [–repoid REPOS] [–releasever RELEASEVER]
[–refresh] [–cachedir CACHEDIR] [–keep-cache] [–yes]
{install,reinstall,downgrade,upgrade,download,list,info,search,remove,purge,clean,repolist}

qvm-template: error: Template ‘kali’ not found.”

And it’s there?

“sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing qubes-template-kali-4.0.6-202106171816" try like that. it should be work.

Unfortunately not, @samsepu, already tried. No template can be installed, gentoo, kalii, fedora-35… Same response…

1 Like

hmm, then i dont know but you must specified template versions because when i try “kali” without -4.0.6-2021XXXXXX its not working.i dont say that to you i say for anyone try to download any template.

I think this is linked to 'qvm-template --repolist' error - no attribute 'repoid' · Issue #7133 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub which has been opened today by unman, I have the same issue.

I found a workaround to install the template.

@unman, there is another issue. It seems that the parameter --enablerepo doesn’t work correctly with qvm-template.

Workaround :
I edited /etc/qubes/repo-templates/qubes-templates.repo and set enabled = 1 for community testing repo.
Then, I ran the sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing qubes-template-kali command and it worked.
This confirms that the --enablerepo argument doesn’t work.

4 Likes

I’m trying to get audio to work in a fully updated rolling kali template. When I try to manually install

$ sudo apt install qubes-vm-recommended

I get

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 pulseaudio-qubes : Depends: pulseaudio (< 14.2.1) but 15.0+dfsg1-2 is to be installed

how do I resolve unmet dependencies?

Im also getting this error

Ran this in terminal in the Kali template, this DIDN’T fix the update error for me, still getting the same message.

same.

i ran

sudo apt install libapt-pkg

says i now how have libapt-pkg6.0 newest version installed. perhaps i need to find a way to roll back to 5.0? (apt cant even find 5.0 to install?)

says i now how have libapt-pkg6.0 newest version installed. perhaps i need to find a way to roll back to 5.0? (apt cant even find 5.0 to install?)

a fresh un-updated kali-template already has 6.0 installed so that must be the problem.

edit: stock debian-11 has it too so scratch that…

Interestingly debian 11 initially suffered from the same problem.
https://groups.google.com/g/qubes-users/c/z-Veuriwr8s
https://www.mail-archive.com/qubes-users@googlegroups.com/msg35044.html

So someone DID find a way to fix it for Debian-11 , i wonder how they did it…?

ps: happy aniversay (says you’ve been here for a year today)

@vega

That worked for me.

You’ll have to pin the pulseaudio-14.2.1 package with apt… then you’ll be able to properly install pulseaudio-qubes. That’s because the qubes package depends on a specific version of pulseaudio and there hasn’t been an update of the pulseaudio-qubes package yet that includes support for the 15.0 version. That’s because the version is still in testing, I don’t think that regular bullseye ships with 15.0 but kali pulls packages from testing, so they end up with the latest version. Anyways, the fix for this problem is easy:

1. change your repos to bullseye (stable) on debian
  2. apt update to pull the repo information
  3. install the qubes audio package
  4. change back to the testing repos
  5. pin the package: apt-mark hold
    On Kali you’d have to manually install the required packages (pulseaudio) in order to get it working. Then simply pin the package and you’re done. It’ll show an annoying prompt while updating about a few packages being kept back but that’s just a minor annoyance.

FYI, we have bookworm in the pipe: Debian 12 aka `bookworm` template · Issue #7134 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub. We have started building packages for it. Once all have reached stable repository, I would rebuild kali on top of bookworm instead of bullseye.

2 Likes

@fepitre

I am running 4.1 and just installed the Kali template. As mentioned in previous posts, running update from Qubes Manager generates the following error:

Failed to apply DSA-4371 fix: 
dpkg-query: package ‘libapt-pkg5.0’ is not installed 
and no information is available 
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) 
to examine archive files. 
Error: Failed to get apt version

Fixes mentioned on this thread don’t work. What is advised? Update with the less secure “apt” method in the template terminal?

You can run apt inside template directly. It’s completely fine. I’m personally doing it :slight_smile:

1 Like