Kali template available

Thank You @unman. This solution worked. I was able to update directly from cli in the kali qube but the Qubes Updater was still failing.

I followed @wind.gmbh and set my default-mgmt-dvm to Fedora-33 and now the Qubes Updater works .Thank you @wind.gmbh as well

1 Like

I use Zenmap (nmap gui) on an older stand-alone Kali install. This new Kali distro does not have it but it was easy enough to add following this guide. Zenmap -- Easy GUI version of Nmap
on edit: the guide is incomplete for Kali 2021.

After install, the template appmenu is populated witih Zenmap, but clicking them only gives you a flash of a window and then nothing.
I tried to launch Zenmap from terminal and this produced many dependency errors. Zenmap was not starting.

SOLVED- Kali dropped Python 2 in favor of Python 3 and Zenmap in its current incarnation depends on Python gtk2 module. I had to install Python gtk2 and its dependencies . Now Zenmap works like a charm.

BTW, Qubes 4.1 is really much more compatible (and stable) with my Dell 5520 with Xeon e3-1505, than any of the previous Qubes versions. I’ve used Qubes on this machine since Q3.1

Thanks to the Qubes team and the community for this excellent OS

1 Like

I tried the frist time to copy a file to the kali template appvm and template, but then I have got a fatal error of qfileagent and that don’t work. Just the folder of the incoming qube appears but not the file. Can I fix that anyway?
thank you again for ur great help and enjoy your weekend everybody :slight_smile:

Update: Some file type .doc for example ,but to copy .deb file works not.

Btw: to set fedora-33 as default-mgmt is working and solves the problem with updating over the qubes updater :slight_smile:
And that fix is working for the fed-33 template, kali ,deb-11 and the xfce templates.too. So I don’t have to update these vm’s from their terminals anymore.

Unfortunately for me that doesn’t work and I need to use these commands:
1.gpg --keyserver pgpkeys.mit.edu --recv-key ED444FF07D8D0BF6
2. gpg -a --export ED444FF07D8D0BF6 | sudo apt-key add -
Then everything is fine :slight_smile:

Can you at least say why it didn’t work? That would be helpful to other
users.
If you don’t pipe to apt-key, what is the output?
wget -O - https://archive.kali.org/archive-key.asc

(It works for me)

With the current rolling kali, qubes-qube-manager can’t update with error:

Failed to apply DSA-4371 fix: dpkg-query: package ‘libapt-pkg5.0’ is not installed and no information is available Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files. Error: Failed to get apt version

The issue is, python on the fully updated kali-rolling stdout appends the following to the output of the dsa-4371 script:

┏━(Message from Kali developers)
┃
┃ We have kept /usr/bin/python pointing to Python 2 for backwards
┃ compatibility. Learn how to change this and avoid this message:
┃ ⇒ https://www.kali.org/docs/general-use/python3-transition/
┃
┗━(Run “touch ~/.hushlogin” to hide this message)

So, to fix, on the kali template:

sudo touch ~root/.hushlogin

Then qubes-qube-manager should be able to update the template normally.

Also, after extending the root partition using kde’s partition manager, the install of the kali template still failed because the root-pool ran out of space and killed all vm’s (no vm could boot).

I think the fix was:

sudo lvextend -L 100GB qubes_dom0/root-pool

100GB is quite large, so adjust that to suite your needs.

Great work! Will definitely try it out when I get around to it.

Until then I’m throwing out anything OSX after 21 years on that stable platform, I’m just DONE with surveillance & corps run amok…

Will be Qubes all the way now!

1 Like

Is it also possible to open Kali VM like a whole as I did with Kali images on virtual box? Now I have a seperate menu item for terminal and Firefox. For a training I use an openvpn tunnel to network with servers. On my previous image I could open a webserver on a server that was accessible via the openvpn tunnel. Now with a separate instance of Firefox, this isn’t possible and the browser doesn’t run on top of the tunnel.

Hey guys,

When I’m trying to install the Kali template this is the error I am getting. What should I do?

[MIRROR] qubes-template-kali-4.0.6-202106171816.noarch.rpm: Curl error (23): Failed writing received data to disk/application for https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/qubes/repo/yum/r4.1/templates-community-testing/rpm/qubes-template-kali-4.0.6-202106171816.noarch.rpm [Failure writing output to destination]
[FAILED] qubes-template-kali-4.0.6-202106171816.noarch.rpm: Curl error (23): Failed writing received data to disk/application for https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/qubes/repo/yum/r4.1/templates-community-testing/rpm/qubes-template-kali-4.0.6-202106171816.noarch.rpm [Failure writing output to destination]

The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction.
You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
Error: Error downloading packages:
  Curl error (23): Failed writing received data to disk/application for https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/qubes/repo/yum/r4.1/templates-community-testing/rpm/qubes-template-kali-4.0.6-202106171816.noarch.rpm [Failure writing output to destination]

I’m not sure, it looks like a problem with the selected mirror.

Hi, I’m trying to update a kali template in the Qube Manager. I’m getting the error message about libapt-pkg5.0 is not installed.

I’m not sure if you meant

sudo touch ~root/.hushlogin

or

sudo touch ~/.hushlogin

I tried both and I still can’t update through Qube Manager.

I can update/upgrade in the kali template in a terminal just fine but I’m still having missing sound and video playback issues that I hope an update will fix.

sorry I’m new and I don’t know where to find log files but maybe there’s an easy fix I don’t know about?

Any help would be appreciated.

I just upgraded to 4.1. I can’t find the kali template. When i run
sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-template-community-testing qubes-template-kali

I receive
qvm-template error Template kali not found

I tried installing kali template as well using: sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-template-community-testing qubes-template-kali

received the same error. Qubes 4.1

It’s qubes-templates-community-testing with an s - lots of templates.

@unman Thank for the correction, even when i write templates, i get:

error: Template ‘kali’ not found

@unman
just wondering what i might be missing.

“sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing qubes-template-kali
Redirecting to ‘qvm-template install --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing kali’
usage: qvm-template [–verbose] [–quiet] [–help] [–repo-files REPO_FILES]
[–keyring KEYRING] [–updatevm UPDATEVM] [–enablerepo REPOID]
[–disablerepo REPOID] [–repoid REPOS] [–releasever RELEASEVER]
[–refresh] [–cachedir CACHEDIR] [–keep-cache] [–yes]
{install,reinstall,downgrade,upgrade,download,list,info,search,remove,purge,clean,repolist}

qvm-template: error: Template ‘kali’ not found.”

And it’s there?

“sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing qubes-template-kali-4.0.6-202106171816" try like that. it should be work.

Unfortunately not, @samsepu, already tried. No template can be installed, gentoo, kalii, fedora-35… Same response…

1 Like

hmm, then i dont know but you must specified template versions because when i try “kali” without -4.0.6-2021XXXXXX its not working.i dont say that to you i say for anyone try to download any template.